Tamiya Monster Beetle
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tamiya Monster Beetle

Tamiya Monster Beetle 13 years ago #1

Junior Boarder
<p>How's this for a story?&nbsp; I bought this Tamiya Sand Scorcher a while ago on BidorBuy, and it was sent to me from the Gauteng West Rand, by mail.&nbsp; The parcel went missing, but the Post Office actually RECOVERED it (in Cape Town), and sent it to my home address by courier!!&nbsp; :hangloose: </p><p>The bodyshell (hand-painted by some post-'94 patriot) is not in a very good condition, but the chassis, featuring a fully functional diff, independent suspension and oil-filled shocks, is perfect!&nbsp;&nbsp; The Monster Beetle was released by Tamiya in the mid-80's as a successor to the very popular Sand Scorcher, and used the same bodyshell.&nbsp; Due to the model's 'Monster Truck' theme, it was however considerably larger than the Sand Scorcher (compare to Hot Wheels Baja in pic).</p><p>
</p><p>
</p><p>No specific plans for it at the moment though, but it might become a winter-time indoor resto project as I still have a brand new unbuilt Sand Scorcher body kit, that will fit the chassis perfectly.</p><p>
</p><p>This is what the Monster Beetle looked like originally - quite an impressive toy!</p><p>
</p><p>
</p><p>Original Monster Beetle promotional video</p><p>[youtube][/youtube]</p><p>The Mini Monster Beetle (battery powered, but not radio control) is still available at around R 150 for the kit - it is about 1:32 scale and the diameter of the wheels about the size of a Marmite bottle lid </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

Re: Tamiya Monster Beetle 13 years ago #2

Platinum Boarder
great solution to rushhour traffic

Re: Tamiya Monster Beetle 13 years ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Just gotta get one and see if I can crunch some of those beetles.
  • Page: