Lesney - Code-3 repaints
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lesney - Code-3 repaints

Lesney - Code-3 repaints 10 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder

Last Edit: 10 years, 8 months ago by RVREVO.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
pictures a bit dark, but my guess is the green ERF

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
yes, the green ERF was repainted in green.

the previous owner had painted it badly and its difficult to win this one. As I already have the yellow and red this was the cheap option.

Now then, there\'s another Fake one... Can you guess???

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
The yellow truck seems wrong true.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #5

Gold Boarder
I would have to agree.The yellow one doesnt seem right at all.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I agree with the others, the yellow truck looks out of place. The wheels are wrong and the hitch is wrong for lesney Products.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
exactly right, the yellow truck was originally orange, however it was badly repainted in red.

the hook is broken, but it is a real early Lesney nonetheless.

that leaves one more...

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #8

The yellow one is a Diamond T model 980, known to the US Army as the 12 ton truck 6X4 M20. It was one of the few trucks in WWII that was diesel powered in use by the US forces. Many saw use in civilian life doing the same job it did in the military, hauling heavy loads. Several saw duty on the famous Red Ball Express hauling supplies. 5,871 were bult between 1941 and 1945 with a subcontract awaded to FWD to keep up with demand during the war.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
OK the three are repaints although the Ford Prefect No 30 seems to be a we bit larger than mine when comparing the three together from my collection. So my guess is that the Prefect is a Dinky Dublo which are the same size I think. Then again if the Prefect is a original Matchbox and one of the light blue that were painted at the end of the run of that particular model then it is worth a lot of cash or bucks. Whatever.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I think everyone misunderstood me. They are all Lesneys, but... and this is important... they are all repainted into the rare color tryouts that the company liked producing.

As the last yellow Prime Mover Diamond T from Lesney sold for well over GBP490 (approx. US$900) I thought that the only way I was going to get me one of these rare colors was to paint them myself.

After all, they\'re for my collection.

So they\'re not really worth anything... they\'re fake.
But they are Lesney.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
These days painting die-cast toys when paint has almost gone will extend the life of the toy. Just as long as they are re-paints then I personally don\'t think they are fakes. Just as along a person doesn\'t try to pass them off as the original. To me fakes are those imitations made by another company replicating the original. eg: China and the likes have been producing look alikes like in Matchbox for a longtime. Hong Kong Blue Box would fit this category and don\'t these bring a nice penny or two if in good condition. The box I mean.

Anyway Richard you really got everyone thinking about this contest there Mate.
gnrjim.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
thanks James,

I just have over 2500 Matchbox cars... don\'t know the exact figure as I\'ve lost count. I do know that I had collected everything sequentially up until Mattel took over... then it stopped and I began to try and get all the Lesneys instead. Picked up some really nice ones incl the white and cream Canteens, which are worth a lot more than I paid for them. Ironically I doubled and tripled up.

I\'ve stopped buying now because of dentist bills. So I\'ve got to sort out my collection once and for all to see.

It appears the only best way for me to display what I have is to make photos of them.

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #13

Fresh Boarder
From what i can tell it looks like there is yellow paint on the broken end of the hitch on the Prime mover meaning it was painted after the hitch was broken.  

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
paul1066 wrote:
From what i can tell it looks like there is yellow paint on the broken end of the hitch on the Prime mover meaning it was painted after the hitch was broken. 

You know, I took the photo out and blew it up and it does look like the end has a shinier paint on it. What say you, Richard. Jim

Re:Can you guess the FAKE Lesney??? 10 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder

Yes, the Prime Mover was repainted yellow. Originally it was the orange version of which I have many. This one was in the worst condition with bent axles and handpainted in red. Got this one with about ten other trucks in similar horrible condition. Now I should\'ve just broken it off or make a better hook, but I didn\'t think it all though, did I?

All three are Code-3
  • Page: