Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model

Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #1

Gold Boarder
Hi all,
My first post on the great Toy Collcetor board.
I\'m looking for the name of the manufacturer of this rare Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model:

The scale is approx. 1/24, the body is in plastic and on the bottom there\'s only the script \'made in Hongkong\'.
The mold might have been an enlarged copy of the Dinky Toys France model (24J) mold.
Note the steering wheel on the right side.

I\'m very curious if anybody can help, I tried several international forums and even two magazines, but until now the origins of the model stay hidden.

Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Dinky Boy. Reason: typo

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #2

Administrator
Hmmmm. Nice model! Could it be Lincoln International?
I notice the mould release lines runnning along the sides of the wings - do these correspond to any on the Dinky model? My Dinky Alfa 1900 is packed away at the moment so I can\'t check and see!

It looks like the grille and bumpers are separate parts - is that correct?

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #3

Gold Boarder
Might sound a bit strange, but among my several hundreds of little Alfas no Dinky 1900 Coupé.

Here\'s a link to a site with lots of useful pictures. Well, IF the mold has been copied and enlarged (not my suggestion, but from someone reading my quest for info on another forum) it has not been a one step job...
And yes, on the 1/24 model the bumpers are seperate parts, the Dinky has integrated bumpers.
This model is not my own, I will ask the owner, a Swiss collector friend, to make some pictures from the bottom, maybe someone can recognize the letter type.
I know Lincoln Int.  as the manufacturer of the now rare Thunderbird 4 model, but I have no idea about any car models produced by them. Any pics?

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #4

Administrator
I don\'t have any Lincoln International models myself, but they did do a lot of plastic bodied models, usually with tinplate bases and friction motors. They did a Ford Zephyr Convertible, Jaguar Mk1 and Lotus racing car among many others. The other company this might be by is VIctory Industries who also did similar models. I\'ll see if I can find some pics...

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #5

Gold Boarder
Found a Lincoln International Jaguar here.
Big difference are the colored windows, a more massive looking baseplate and more accurate lines.

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Hi Dinky Boy

Unless someone has the box you are unlikely to find out what company made this model. Hong Kong at the time this toy was made was a British Colony and most of their production found their way to Britain and to Commonwealth countries like Australia and New Zealand etc.... Hence the RHD! 

One of the most useful reference sources is \"Toy Cars of Japan and Hong Kong\" by Andrew Ralston. In this book Andrew devotes an entire chapter to Hong Kong toy cars. He lists many companies but most are British toy distributors not the actual manufacturer.

One that Andrew does not mention is an approx. 1:12 scale Corvette Sting Ray convertable with RHD and opening boot! I find out that this model car was made for Pippa dolls! All it has on the base is \"Made in Hong Kong\".

Baskingshark

Victory Industries never made an Alfa Romeo. All their production was British outline cars from the 1950\'s to mid 1960\'s.

Hope all this helps!

Cheers Chris 

Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Chris Sweetman.

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #7

Gold Boarder
Thanks!

I saw that Ralston\'s books can easily be found through Amazon.

Meanwhile the book title you mention is not in the list of Ralston\'s books in the \'Famous Collectors\' section. I\'m new here, so maybe a bit silly to ask: will a book title only be added after someone has written a review?

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Here on Toy Collector, yes that is how it works. No review you won\'t find it here. Book or Toy Wise that is. You can always ask in one of the forums if anyone has a copy and what they think.

Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hi could you get a picture of the base plate and front view as well.

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #10

Gold Boarder
Hi, yes, I already asked the owner for those pics. I\'ll publish them as soon as I get them.

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Hi Dinky Boy,
Welcome to the site.  RE Andrew, you can just edit his page in ToyPedia to add the book (just click on the Edit button and add the title to the list) .  You can also add the book to our Book Review Section (click \"Add a Book\").  Lastly, you and/or somebody else can then review it.

Christian

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #12

Gold Boarder
Hi,
thanks for the responses.

Two more pictures:

I hope to have another picture the whole bottom of the model soon.

Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Dinky Boy.

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Hard to read what the number is. It also looks like it is missing a license plate that popped into the two holes on the front bumper. Those both may be clues as to who the manufacturer is. I have no idea myself.

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
got me stumped too. Keep running into a Dinky version on google.

Looks like the fore-runner of the Guielietta Sprint

Re:Unknown Alfa Romeo 1900 CSS model 11 years, 1 month ago #15

Gold Boarder
The 1900 CSS is from 1956 and could be regarded as the Giulietta Sprint\'s \'bigger sister\' (although the Giulietta was from 1954).
Here is an example of the original car.
  • Page: