Unknown Racers
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unknown Racers

Unknown Racers 8 years, 3 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
Hi, I'm new here and I have three open wheeled race cars that need identifying! Thank you for any help you can offer.

Last Edit: 8 years, 3 months ago by Flanker.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Welcome from one side of the country to the other. Had to look you up, New Brunswick I see. Any fish in Hunter Lake?

The silver one with the red seats. It looks like a very early toy.The wooden part on the front wheels. It looks like you could wrap a string around it and give it a good pull and let it rip across the floor. Maybe carpet.

This one also has a sign or logo on the side. Can we see a larger picture of that please? Some one here may recognize that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flanker

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
seen the green one posted before. Tri-Ang if memory serves.

the silver one came up too as one of those cable control models.
Last Edit: 8 years, 3 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 3 months ago #4

Fresh Boarder
Thanks Nobleco. The silver one is made from aluminum, it is about 9" long and the small print on the sticker says "Ludington Griswold Inc., Saybrook, Connecticut." As far as I can tell, this company name was associated with an aeronautical design firm that operated a wind tunnel...quite a stretch from being a toy company! The other two cars have no identification at all. 

Last Edit: 8 years, 3 months ago by Flanker.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
This is an american built toy. I know someone who belongs to TC and also TCC and he may know. Marty or Martford. I will ask him for you. He rarely comes on here now.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Sent the info and 4 pictures off to three other sites I belong to to see if any one can id this. Will let you know.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
"In 1942 Griswold's company had built a wind tunnel model of a dart-shaped missile "

(http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4305/ch10.htm )

I bet they made the wind tunnel models and then decided to branch out and recoup some investment (or just have fun); thus, the toy plane.  Next, why not a race car?
Last Edit: 8 years, 2 months ago by karls.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
An interesting array of models. Very nice the silver racer is. But looking at the photo the close up one it says on the side who made it. But nothing on the Google search.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Here is another one for sold last week in the US (with a worse decal):

http://www.americanaauctions.com/catalogue/img_7302.jpg

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #10

Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your input everyone. Having to search hard for the origin of these models just makes them all the more appealing to me!

I figured the same thing about the Griswold company, they probably just made a limited number of toys on the side for kicks.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Flanker:

I found this post by you from another forum I belong to.

www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/39508-name-that-model

My friend sent this note.

Nice mysteries!  This guy just bought the same one:
www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/39508-name-that-model

I've seen very similar ones at the Chicago/Indy toy shows - always described as an Indy 500 racer.
Last Edit: 8 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #12

Fresh Boarder
Yep, that's my post on the other site too!

Re: Unknown Racers 8 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Yes, a member of Toy Car Collectors sent that to the Yahoo group. Just thought others here might like to see it.

Re: Unknown Racers 7 years, 9 months ago #14

Fresh Boarder
I found out that the very weathered, dark red racer above is a Girard #2 Boat-tailed Racer from 1924.

The Aluminum #7 Mystery Racer is from Ludington Griswold Inc.

The green one above is still a mystery. I have no idea what it is, and have never seen one like it.

I got two new racers that I can't identify. These tiny racers are 5 and 6 inches long. Thanks for your help!

• Page: