I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ?

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
kinda makes my Brit look a might sorry looking.
Extremely playworn and honest, this is what happens when you let your kids play with it.

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #17

Administrator
Great pictures! Makes it really easy to see the difference between the base fixings.

Richard, yours looks ripe for rescuing! But all the important bits are there, so I\'m sure it\'ll be looking good again soon!

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
just a matter of finding the rest of the bits and pieces.

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I have a Bentley S2 to restore for a Canadian customer. It is also in rough shape like Richards.

All parts are available to fix up this Bentley S2

I also have a US Ford Fairlane Police Car to do for the same customer.

I know that the Bentley was assembled in South Africa but were was the Ford Fairlane assembled. It has prov Pat numbers on the base plate just like the Bently S2. Does this just mean it is for export as that is what this model was for.
I have also noticed that the base rivets are the same on both toys. Could the Ford be assembled in S Africa for export to the USA?

Last Edit: 10 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
I\'m sorry I\'m a Corgi and Dinky beginner collector...

Don\'t know many things. But only few Bentley were assembled in SAF. As did Peugeot 404, Rolls-Royce Phantom V (in seven different  colour shcemes), Ford thunderbird and other ones. All other one were produced in Great Britain, or France.

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #21

Administrator
Yes, there were a few others as well - the history of Dinky Toys South Africa is in ToyPedia, you can read it here.

Also, there are lists of the British castings produced in SA here and details of the French Dinky castings made in SA here

The Bentley is gorgeous - have you had it very long?

Last Edit: 9 years, 5 months ago by toysforever.

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I didn\'t read the toypedia yet, but SAF Dinky were just GB castings that where assembled there. And not designed to export.
SAF snapping machine did make some tracks around metal pieces. And metal remains look to be lung. (It\'s hard to explain in english for me).

That\'s all I know about that, but I use to read about a world famous expert (J.M. Roulet)in a french site and had the chance to see several SAF Dinky to recognize \"rivets\" today.

I had mine recently because I only starded again to collect about two yeras ago (I did stop collect model cars during more than ten years).
After had it, I spent about two months collecting expert advices to be sure it was a real SAF. I actually made a bargain because I bought it, as we say in french \"une bouchée de pain\".

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
une bouchée de pain

Translated literally, it means a mouthful of bread. Strange saying.

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #24

Administrator
Excellent - that\'s a great find for a bargain!

The first models to be made in South Africa were British castings, but later they made a few French ones too - the Peugeot 404 was one of these. (No Peugeot 404 ever appeared in the British range).

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
une bouchée de pain

Translated literally, it means a mouthful of bread. Strange saying.

transliteral it means \'bargain\'

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
We have, in France, a german and french public TV channel.
We often see programs about languages specificities. Especialy about such sentences. Through centuries we can see even memory, for example, was not linked to same organs. Some nations were using sentences talking about head. Some others say memory was linked to the heart, and so on...

It\'s really always surprising, often funny, and sometimes very instructive.

Perhaps somtimes will I ask some of you, about mysterious sentences...

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
well your \'EngRish\' ain\'t so bad as the Chinese translations of their instruction manuals.

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
You have to speak very well.

Because I learn english through toys forums...

Re:I\'m a Dinky Toy. But who am I ? 10 years, 9 months ago #29

Even the English language has it\'s issues and don\'t start with the mess that is uttered in the US. Half the time I don\'t understand what my kids are telling me, and I\'m sure some of it I don\'t WANT to know. I\'ve had to ask some of the British members what something meant because I didn\'t have a clue what it was. I think you\'re doing a fine job Corky, I understand what you are saying better than the kids!
  • Page: