For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trabant

Trabant 11 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
this little nightmare just does not get finished at all. Its a long project that has been put aside several times.

Again I can not build a model straight with the instructions, in this case I wanted an engine, and I needed to open the hood.

It took a good two weeks of my spare time to separate the hood from the body. The next problem was finding an engine to suit. So a VW Golf sacrificed its parts for the humble little Trabant. This happened quite often I was told by a friend of the family.
As usual bits have fallen off, but I still have most of them.

The car is hand-painted... spray-paint was very expensive in Holland. Brush-strokes suit this car though, so authentic anyway.

Re:Trabant 11 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Yes, that is the only thing that turns me off model kits. Like the glue sometimes dosn\'t stick for long if they are handle too often. So what is the best glue on the market.

Re:Trabant 11 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
To answer the ever pressing glue delima i use M.E.K. methel ethel keytone, which is not really a glue it is a paint stripper I buy it by the quart for about 8 dollars u.s. it is applied with a small thin brush and the parts are held together for about 30 seconds and then set aside to fully cure for about 30 minutes it actually bonds the patrs together through a chemical reaction to the styrene,,,, stoe it in a small glass container and do not smoke arounf it while using it ......it is all i have used for years

Re:Trabant 11 years, 7 months ago #4

The best glue on the market is the one you like the best. That\'s like the chicken or the egg argument, there\'s no right answer. I use good ol\' Testor cement for most everything. And no glue will tolerate much handleing! Remember, it\'s a scale model, NOT a toy!! I personally don\'t have allot of problems with parts coming off, other than mirrors and antennas.

Re:Trabant 11 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Try drilling and pinning the mirrors and antennas ..... the testors attacks the plastic on the molecular level abot the same as mek it is just a much thicker formula

Re:Trabant 11 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Yes the methel ethel keytone. I\'ve used it millions of times only as a catalyst for Poly Ester resins and gel coats. Also we used to mix some ABS plastic to make a filler for fixing mis-placed drill holes in the vacuum formed ABS plastic sheet panels we used to make for the Ford Ambulances interia built at Body Craft. Alas Lennal industries which has gone with the wind of non existence for economic down turn. Actually it the MEK used to melt into this gooey mess and when dried it was hard as rocks to sand back and polish. We had to be real careful and not touch the existing panel shine, like the ABS was easily scratched. They also tell me it is good for pimples.

Re:Trabant 11 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
What are you opinions on Humbrol colle polystyrene and Revell cement glues are they any good these days.

Re:Trabant 11 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I have made filler putty with mek ..... just put some in a small glass jar and mix with several pieces of chopped up spre .... the sprue melts in the mek keep adding spre until you have a putty type consistency that is what you need .... it can be applied like any other filler and this mixture will keep for about 2 months
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration