Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash?

Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 11 months ago #1

Administrator
It is not often that I am stumped by cars, real or toy, but this one has me beat.

I just went to the local boot sale and found a few things, including three old 1/32-scale kits in a box together that the seller said were Airfix and that I could have for £1.00 the lot.

Two are Airfix, there\'s a Lanchester and a Bullnose Morris that aren\'t complete, but then the third one was this strange sports coupe. I can\'t identify what the car and the base is marked \"Playcraft Toys Made in Gt. Britain. I think Playcraft made Aurora kits in the UK, but am not sure. I have put the multi-part body together with blu-tak to take some pictures...

It looks like a Nash-Healey or similar? Or maybe it\'s a fiberglass 50\'s US Special? I have no idea! It could even be a coachbuilt Ferrari! It is complete, unless it had window glass, in which case the window glass is missing. There\'s one sprue with the hub spinners and headlamps and tail lamps on, but the rest is loose. Here is the body with all the other bits:

Any ideas, anyone?!

ETA:

This just got even weirder - I just looked at it again and realised that it\'s Right-Hand drive! Which pretty much means it\'s not a Kaiser, Muntz, Cunningham or any of those other American things. The closest things I can find are the Kaiser-Darrin and Ghia-bodied Ferrari 212s. But none of them are quite right. Is it made-up by Playcraft. And are Playcraft Mettoy (of Corgi fame)? And how old is it? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by Baskingshark.

Re:Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 11 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
What about a Bristol?

Re:Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 11 months ago #3

Administrator
Apparently, it\'s a Ferrari 342 America and was made by Aurora in the US (I found one on eBay last night, it\'s item number 220451345833. The odd thing is that this one is stamped made in UK as per my original post, so this must have been made under licence or something. Unfortunately, even though the seller put up a pic of all the parts, I can\'t see if the US versioon is LHD or RHD. I wonder if they changed it for the UK market, as it seems odd that an American model of an Italian car would be RHD.

Re:Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Aren\'t Ferrari\'s usually made to clients specifications?

Re:Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Exactly so it could be a custom or a promo or a prototype model car. It almost likes like a Studebaker with the rear wings and the grille. But then Mercedes comes to mind as well. Same with the other makes mentioned. Almost like a bunch of cars rolled into one.

RVREVO wrote:

Aren\'t Ferrari\'s usually made to clients specifications?
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 11 months ago #6

Administrator
The 342 Americas were mostly (if not all) coachbuilt, I think. There\'s a picture of the real car this is a model of here

Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by Baskingshark.

Re:Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 11 months ago #7

I think your dead-on! It\'a Ferrari all right. The only thing it lacks is the hood scoop. I remember there was a Jag XK 120 model made like that. Very simple, no chrome or window glass. Could have been part of the same series. It could have been an Aurora kit, but I just don\'t remember.

Re:Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Is it a lift off hard top

Re:Mystery Kit Playcraft (Aurora?) 50\'s Sports Car Nash? 11 years, 7 months ago #9

Junior Boarder
A Nash Rambler perhaps?
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration