AMT Peterbilt 359 small window heavy haul tractor
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: AMT Peterbilt 359 small window heavy haul tractor

AMT Peterbilt 359 small window heavy haul tractor 8 years, 6 months ago #1

Warmer temps have allowed me to start painting again, so I've got some work done on a few plastic kits. This one is almost finished, just need to paint the air cleaner, oil filter and exhaust tubes, and make up some decals for the doors. I missed the measurements somehow on the decals I had made up and they don't fit the doors, a bit too big.

The first thing I did was cut the frame rails down by 1 inch. I've added ramps for the lowbed trailer neck to roll on while hooking up to the trailer, frame mounted tool boxes, and lots of air and electrical lines for brakes, suspension and all the trailer electrics.

The front axle was cut and pinned, as was the rest of the steering linkage. One of those things that AMT didn't do with their 25th scale truck kits. I swapped the 8V71 that came with the kit for a turbo charged 8V92T from another AMT kit in the spare parts box. This brings the HP up to 430 instead of the 318 from the smaller 8V71. It also required a complete reworking of intake and exhaust tubes.

Fast forward a few months to decent painting weather. I shot the entire cab with a white primer, then white color coat and masked the cab and hood for the next several coats. I used a silver undercoat after masking, and the several light coats of Testors candy sapphire blue were shot on the cab. Here are the almost finished shots.

The girls on the mudflaps are photo etch parts...
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 small window heavy haul tractor 8 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
That is a really nice job and I love the colors. You have put a lot of detail into this truck and it shows.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 small window heavy haul tractor 8 years, 6 months ago #3

Thank you Jim. The color is evenly matched across the cab, the way the light hits the blue makes it look like it's an uneven color match from the hood to the cab. I've got the rest of the parts painted, and can finish them off tomorrow. Not sure about the decals yet. I may change the wording on them to something else for two of the trucks.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 small window heavy haul tractor 8 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Rob i just love your work so detailed and excellent. Keep up the good work look forward to seeing more of your projects.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration