'36 Ford Speedway car.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: '36 Ford Speedway car.

'36 Ford Speedway car. 8 years, 7 months ago #1

Gold Boarder

I post regularly in the diecast vehicles section, my main interest now being 1/43 Scale Ford F 100's.  But like many i started out with the "plastic' kits.  I heard about Hippy and his wonderful model building skills, and it has inspired me to ressurect some of my past.  I began building this '36 Ford Speedway Car about 20 years ago. Why I never finished it I don't know.  Why Ii hung onto it so long is equally hard to answer.  Anyway, inspired by Hippy's models, I'm about to get back into this one.  There are still a number of unfinished kits in the box I found whilst clearing out some stuff.  Can only aspire to create something as unique as Hippy did, sadly I never knew the man.

This is an AMT Ertl, 1936 Ford kit. One of the 3 in 1 types, hard to coupe, convertible top up or convertible top down.  it's obvious I have highly modified the body with what I can recall as the basic speedway type of car from the '70s.  have drastically changed the chassis supplied by cutting out everything back to bare chassis rails. The interior is mainly scratch built from other kits, racing seat, roll cage etc, Dash and steering wheel yet to be fitted. Radiator and fuel tank rear mounted.

Chains to hold the motor in place, and crash bars along the side.

Definately a work in progress.  Hope you enjoy, comments appreciated.

Re: '36 Ford Speedway car. 8 years, 7 months ago #2

That is an excellent start. I've got boxes full of projects that have sat for years as well. I keep telling myself I'll get to them. Maybe it's time to either start them or sell them along.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeT

Re: '36 Ford Speedway car. 8 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Inspirational looks like a bit of Tracy Speedway encroaching into the body style of the 38 although I thought at first glances it had more of a Willy's feel about the bubble roof look. Then again it might just be the photo angle that tossed me.
Last Edit: 8 years, 7 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: '36 Ford Speedway car. 8 years, 7 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
Showing our ages there Jim, I doubt whether any of the younger ones would remember Tracy's Speedway, but your right, the styling is in line with those types of vehicles. I think a lot of those 30's style bodies had similar turrets.  Still away to go with this, but after 20 years I guess there's no rush.

Re: '36 Ford Speedway car. 8 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Nice model and looks really good so far. It is nice to hear that Hippie has inspired you to finish building the racer. I knew him fairly well over the net and he was quite the builder. Always customizing and cutting them up to make what he wanted. He liked to be true to the cars he built and was upset with some manufactures who took liberties with the castings (sprues).
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration