AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom

AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #1

Finally got off my tail and started on some plastic kits again. After so much time spent on HO scale and N scale projects, 1/25th seems huge.

I've got two projects on the table at the moment, this T-500 AMT Peterbilt 359 small window custom and a resin cab Dodge Bighorn on a re-issue Kenworth K-100 cab over frame, to be listed in another thread.

The AMT Peterbilt is the first model kit I ever built, so hold a special place in my memories. That first kit was lost a long time ago, so when I found this one, unbuilt in a ruined box for about half the going rate, I jumped on it. The box was in poor shape, and I held little hope that all the parts would be there and in good shape. Much to my surprise it was all there so I decided to build the version I always wanted to build. I added 1 1/4 inches to the frame for the larger sleeper, a second battery box under the passenger side door and tanks from a Revell Peterbilt 377 kit. New tires from an AMT Kenworth T-600 kit replace the smaller AMT Goodyear tires. The front axle was cut and pinned to make a positional steering axle. 20 and 28 gauge wire was used to make up the air and electrical lines and fuel hoses. 20gauge was used for heater hoses.
  I also replaced the two bar grill from the AMT kit with a later 3 bar grill with tilt hinges and drilled the front spring hangers for the hinges. The T-500 small window kit didn't have the hinges, those were added to the later big window 359 kit.
  I used the larger chrome brake chambers off the Kenworth kits in place of the small singles off the Peterbilt kit to add the spring parking brakes. The Kenworth W-900 kit also donated the auxiliary 4 speed transmission.
Last Edit: 9 years, 6 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #2

The sleeper was enlarged using two sleeper roofs from the AMT 359 large window Peterbilt kit, The curved edge was cut off one side of each roof and then glued together to form the larger roof. I used the front and rear walls and doors from the small window kit and made a filler panel from .040 plastic. The front of the sleeper and rear of the cab were cut to make the walk through opening and a window was cut into the back wall of the sleeper to see the interior details. A bunk, cabinets and compartments have been added using parts from the AMT Kenworth t-600 kit and .040 plastic.

Last Edit: 9 years, 7 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #3

These are a couple of test fit shots of the truck. I've been working on some lowboy ramps and a pintle hitch for the rear of the frame, and working out where the 1/4 fenders and mudflap hangers will go. I'm also looking at paint schemes. Time is running short on painting season, it's getting cold early this year, so I'll need to get started on it soon.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #4

Had a chance to do some more on this one. All air and electrical lines are now in place, as are the fuel cross over and air tanks. The radiator and all hoses are in place and ready for paint and detailing. I am adding lowboy ramps to the truck, made from .040 plastic and photo etch brass bolt heads and nuts.

Some more test fit pics before the paint begins. I need to add rivets to the sleeper panel I made, and then it can be primed again to check the splices before paint begins.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #5

Administrator
Awesome job - I've always wondered what it would be like to build one of these big rig model kits.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Nice job and really coming along. What color is it going?

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Wow,you really go to town on these machines. I should be more disciplined and do some work myself. After years of fixing the 1.1 items I should be enjoying building the models.  Great work as usual.

Kind regards,Frame.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #8

Thank you everyone. I've really been trying to wait on the kit builds until winter fully hit here, and I almost made it. The temptation got the better of me, and the rush to get it ready for paint before the first freeze is coming down to the wire. I'm not sure of color yet Jim, I've got something in mind, but finding the primer I need for the paint is proving to be a challenge. I will have it all worked out in the next couple of days, I hope.

The older AMT kits like this one were beauties for their day, and with today's new mold making techniques they tend to pale to modern kits. When new, I could get a truck kit like this one for about 5.00 USD, and made 10.00 mowing the lawn, so I'd still have cash for glue and paint. The last one of these I saw was 150.00 plus shipping. There is a company out there that is reissuing the old AMT truck kits, and these can be found for about 30.00 USD. I'm using one as the base kit for the Dodge Bighorn resin custom in another thread. The reissue looks very nice, with clean parting lines and ejector marks are at a bare minimum. They've even done a nice job on packing the parts, better than AMT did back in the day. Tissue wrapped chrome trees to protect the parts, and plastic sealed bags for the rest of the parts. The decals are nice, with a few new ones thrown in as well.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
With a huge risk of repeating myself: your trucks are always so impressive it almost defies belief. Even with an old kit like this, your added superdetailing adds a whole new dimension.

I built a few 1/24 truck kits myself back in the 80s (Italeri Volvos and Scanias), but always straight from the box and I hardly even had the patience for that.

Re: AMT Peterbilt 359 T-500 custom 9 years, 6 months ago #10

I've found two more of these kits in the last couple of weeks, so I can build a couple different versions. One will be a shortened frame day cab, and the other a logger with a reissue log trailer kit from Round 2 models. It's become too cold to paint now, so I'll have to wait  until spring arrives to finish them off. On the plus side, I can detail them even more than I have so far, with photo etch parts and some creative decal use, it should keep me busy for the time being.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration