Hubley/Gabriel Diecast kits
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hubley/Gabriel Diecast kits

Hubley/Gabriel Diecast kits 5 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>Does anyone know of a forum or members group dedicated to Hubley / Gabriel Kits ?</p>

Re: Hubley/Gabriel Diecast kits 5 months, 2 weeks ago #2

Expert Boarder
There used to be an active group on Yahoo but Yahoo has closed its groups access now.

Re: Hubley/Gabriel Diecast kits 5 months, 2 weeks ago #3

I have not heard of these kits before. Is it worthwhile to look into it?

Re: Hubley/Gabriel Diecast kits 5 months, 2 weeks ago #4

Expert Boarder
Hubley Kits originated in the USA late fifties/early sixties. They sold the tools to Gabriel I believe around 1965 who continued to produce the same kits. They in turn sold the tools onto Scale Models who ceased making the kits in the early 1990's.

The scales varied - 1/18 for the Duesenbergs - 1.20 for the Fords and Chevrolets - and 1/22 for the Packards.

The kits were diecast metal and plastic - and required a LOT of work to make the model. I first made up a Packard in 1966 which I still have.

By todays standards the kits are somewhat crude - but they can be made up to a really nice (Heavy)model

They use screws for the main assembly which makes it relatively easy to restore older models - provided you can get the plastic parts off without damage. I have five different assembled models - and a further eight undergoing either assembly/restoration.

Re: Hubley/Gabriel Diecast kits 5 months, 2 weeks ago #5

Thanks for you answer. Looks interesting enough to investigate. Do you have some photos to show us?
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration