Some of my built kits
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Some of my built kits

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
I have built quite a number of kits myself through the years and seen many quality results, but yours are top notch.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #17

Senior Boarder
Thanks very much for the compliments Rollerman, Routemaster and Ecclesley.

Of course I've encountered various problems with all the kits I've built and have abandoned quite a few in the process. I also cheat in several ways: if the bonnet won't fit nicely I glue it shut, if the stance isn't right I glue the wheels to the chassis with epoxy - I don't much care what the model looks like underneath. Most of my kits use Modelhaus replacement tyres.

I can't paint very well but I've become quite good at fine sanding and polishing.

I'm VERY slow - output is sometimes 1-2 models a year. There's no hurry.

I got a digital camera and some cheap lights 3 years ago and have experimented quite a lot. No point in building a nice model and showing a lousy photo of it. 

Thanks again,  Peter K
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Your models sure look great, very detailed and do not show as kits. They actually look as the 1:18 metal factory models, if you know what I mean. Was there any reason to pick the 1:25 scale, because that scale seems a bit unusual to me.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #19

Senior Boarder
Thanks Keesie.

1.25th is basically the decimal equivalent of 1.24th and most plastic car kits are done in one of these scales. 1.25th became the standard in the USA, mainly because real car manufacturers ordered plastic promotional models (promos) in that scale.

My understanding is that these models were based on 1.10th scale factory drawings and models. Model companies like AMT and Johan had contracts with Ford, GM etc during the 50s and 60s to supply these promos and developed their kits from these models. 

Here's a few promos:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
I owned a red with white top 1961 Galaxie. 351 cu in Cleveland motor in it and it was quick for a car that size. The Pontiac, year? 1967? and the 1957 Olds Ninety-Eight is also a nice model. Promos look good and nice to see you have some. They must be a rare item these days.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #21

Senior Boarder
The Olds is a 70s re-issue, not so rare yet, but even they are getting pricey. The 66 Pontiacs are very expensive now - I didn't pay top $$$ but it wasn't cheap either. My 61 Mercury is a bit beat up and cost around $30.

I sometimes buy rough promos cheaply and "do them up" like these two, 63 and 64 Chevrolets:

Hosted on Fotki

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Your showing cars I used to one. I had a two door and a four door 1964 Impala and put the two together for a nice 2 door Impala SS.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration