Some of my built kits
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Some of my built kits

Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
I'm new here and thought I'd show a few models I've built:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #2

Senior Boarder

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to Planet Diecast from BC Canada. These are really nicely done. Question...what scale are they? I know most of them and I really like the Chrysler products. They had such style back in the 1950's and into the 1960's. Classic era.
There are people here from over the planet and some or maybe more than some will not know what they are. Others would like the scale, like myself and also the brand they are Revell or ???
There have been some good kit builders here over the years and not just plastic. There are Pocher bulds going on if you look. Those are very expensive and 1:8 scale.
Do you have any more? Love to see them.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Just read your Dashboard profile and see you are thinking of trying your hand at restoration. There are many here who are doing that very thing from top restorers to the beginner trying their first. We are all willing to help and to teach you if needed. Check out some of the tips and hints section if the Restoration department. Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you are starting with.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #5

Senior Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
 Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you are starting with.

Thanks very much for the welcome Nobleco, and glad you liked my models. It was your (and others') restorations that brought me to this site.

The models I'm restoring are 2 Dinkys, 131 Cadillac Eldorado and Superior Criterion Ambulance and the Corgi 224 Bentley Continental. I'm still at the paint removal stage and will try and do all three in their original colours, though I don't intend to be overly fussy.

I should have titled the models I posted but they are from top to bottom......

First group: AMT 1953 Ford F100, Fujimi Ferrari Daytona, Tomy Mercedes 300SL, AMT 1955 Chevrolet Nomad, AMT 1959 Chevrolet El Camino. The 300SL is 1.32nd, the Fujimi is 1.24th and the others are 1.25th. 

Second group: AMT 1962 Chevrolet, Johan 1962 Dodge + its engine, AMT 1957 Chrysler 300C and Johan 1960 DeSoto, all 1.25th.

I do have more and will title them next time.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #6

Senior Boarder
A few more. These are all 1.25th kits from Johan. This US company closed shop in the eighties.

1960 Plymouth

Hosted on Fotki

1962 Plymouth

Hosted on Fotki

1979 Cadillac

Hosted on Fotki

1934 Mercedes Benz

Hosted on Fotki

1966 Cadillac ambulance

Hosted on Fotki

1968 Cadillac

Hosted on Fotki

1962 Chrysler 300H

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
This Chrysler 300 from 1962 is where the interior for my 1:1 1963 Dodge Custom 880 came from. Black recovered diamond tuft with door panels done and lower panels in Black low shag carpet. Floor was the same carpet and head liner was valour, also black.
Love the engines you have shown. I had a 383 Short Stroke in my Dodge and it reved to 6000 to 7000 RPM no problem. The regular 383 would only go to about 5500 RPM
Brings back many memories with the pictures you have shown. Grew up with these cars.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #8

Senior Boarder
I grew up with a mix of US and UK cars. My father had a 48 Hudson when I was born, then a Dodge. My uncle had a 48 Ford which he traded for a brand new 58 Ford Custom 300, which is the car that really sparked my life-long affection for 50s & 60s US cars. Such cars weren't common in New Zealand, most people drove Holdens, Austins, Vauxhalls etc. - but I love models of those too, which is how my collection of Vanguards models started.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Great work on these kits , a great collection.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Fabulous work on all these and thank you for putting them up! Amazing! I've done the AMT 55 Chevy Nomad too, 11 years ago and although pleased with it, it's nowhere near as good as yours! Love the other cars too, beautiful!

I though the Merc 300SL Gull wing was the 1/25 sale AMT (I think) kit as I had it as a boy when I was about 11 but made a mess of it really! Long gone, maybe I'll get another copy and do it properly one day....He He!

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #11

Senior Boarder
Thanks very much Andy and Mark, I'll post a few more soon.

Mark, I built the AMT kit too as a teenager and it didn't go too well. In the plastic scene it's well known as a difficult beast. The newer one in 1.24th from Tamiya would be the way to go today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Speaking of that gullwing, I've had a personal failure with that one as well, not from AMT, but from Heller (also in 1/24-1/25). it was a total nightmare to build and the result was awful.

The parts were warped on the sprues, plastic was very thin and the suspension parts too delicate to carry the weight of the model without sagging. To complete the disaster, the plastic tended to react with the glue, causing "melting", bubbles and warping!
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Teebodk.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #13

Senior Boarder
Teebodk (got it right this time!) I think the problems with the Heller and AMT kits is what gave Tamiya the confidence to develop a new kit. They also sell what look to be built versions, BTW.

Wish they'd do a Jaguar E-Type, another subject that has never been done very well.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Peekay, the pictures of your built kits suggest you are at Professional status. Some of the brands you have mentioned are clearly better than others, but even the best plastic kits usually require some assistance to get them to build correctly and then rely on good paint jobs to carry them off as well finished models.

I see no visible signs on your models to give away any problems you may (and probably had), have experienced during the building then painting process and I expect if I saw these 'In Hand' I would be quite happy to give a verdict of showroom quality models.

You have talent and should be very proud of what you have achieved with mere plastic kits!

Rollerman.

Re: Some of my built kits 2 years, 8 months ago #15

I agree with Rollerman. The kits a very professionally built by Peekay.
And I love the quality of the photographs too
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration