Airfix Pontiac Trans Am Kammwagen
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Airfix Pontiac Trans Am Kammwagen

Airfix Pontiac Trans Am Kammwagen 10 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
PONTIAC TRANS AM TYPE K (KAMMWAGEN)

Model built August 2003 by Mark Reeves member of the Universal Modelling Society, Birmingham. Information provided by Mark.

Photographs by Chris Sweetman.

This car was an idea by Pontiac in the late 1970\'s to make an estate version of the popular Trans Am model. Two versions were made; one silver and one gold, by Italian coach builder Pininfarina and were paraded on the show circuit in the USA. Afterwards, Pontiac decided that the idea would be too costly so it was scrapped. Pontiac crushed the gold version but the silver one was spared. This is the vehicle on which this model is based.

This model is an Airfix 1:24th scale snap fit plastic kit that was available in the USA of the Pontiac Trans Am Type K (Kammwagen). It has been built as true to the surviving Type K as possible. Details include full carpeting, scratch built luggage (the same as was included in the real car) complete with straps and buckles, photo-etched door locks, reflective surface door mirrors and a painted and tinted rear light bar. Please note that the wheels are from a donor kit.

Cheers Chris

Re:Airfix Pontiac Trans Am Kammwagen 10 years, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Good kit of an unusual car, I remember reading about the car, I think in Automobile Quarterly and even at the time you woundered \"what were they thinking\".

Re:Airfix Pontiac Trans Am Kammwagen 10 years, 10 months ago #3

I agree. The general comment with our group of car nuts was why bother? Who would buy a production muscle car station wagon? It was so off the deep end it was kind of funny, almost as if GM was pulling an April fools joke on the car guys.

Re:Airfix Pontiac Trans Am Kammwagen 10 years, 10 months ago #4

Administrator
Great build and I didn\'t know this model kit existed - I\'ll need to look out for one as this is the sort of automotive weirdness I really like! One of the two Kammwagen Firebirds appeared in a later-season episode of The Rockford Files being driven by Jim rockford\'s ex-girlfriend. There are some pics on this page here.

Re:Airfix Pontiac Trans Am Kammwagen 10 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Similarly someone in America decided in the seventy\'s it was a good idea to make a station wagon Corvette.

Re:Airfix Pontiac Trans Am Kammwagen 10 years, 10 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
G.M. of course made the Corvette Nomad, now reproduced by Superior Glass Works 
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration