\'55 Bel Air Rebuild
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: \'55 Bel Air Rebuild

Re:\'55 Bel Air Rebuild 12 years, 9 months ago #16

Well she\'s done! Here\'s a shot of the interior with the opening door. I did the interior in light gray and black to keep it toned down!
__55_Chevy_Hardtop_15.jpg

Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by Hippie.

Re:\'55 Bel Air Rebuild 12 years, 9 months ago #17

For several years I\'ve used Model Master foil. I always found it much easier to work with as it doesn\'t tear as easily as Bare Metal Foil. But recently the product has changed! for some reason the foil seems thicker and doesn\'t want to bend around corners! And the glue in it is thicker and gums up my sheers! Because of this I\'m getting wrinkles and bad seams and it generally looks like a first timer did it!! I have one more sheet of it that i will use up. After which I\'m switching to Bare Metal Foil!! I have written Testors about the problem, and got a very nice letter from their marketing director! They noted that this run has a different product number that I\'d used in the past and they would look into it. And I know the product number too! so I know what to avoid from now on!
Now Bare Metal Foil is a funny animal. It\'w more fragle but conforms better. And I find it\'s got a \"shelf life\"!! It get brittle with age! So I\'ve been told you should keep BMF in the fridge!! No kidding! And, if you want it fresh, it\'s better to order it from their website! Plus they also sell decal paper so you can print your own decals!! That\'s something I\'ve just gotten into!

Re:\'55 Bel Air Rebuild 12 years, 9 months ago #18

here\'s a front shot. i chose to leave off the front bumper to give it more of a drag gasser look!
__55_Chevy_Hardtop_17.jpg

Re:\'55 Bel Air Rebuild 12 years, 9 months ago #19

And a tail shot for y\'all! this is an old kit, but it still builds up into a good model! it\'s fussy to get all the working features to work! But well worth the effort! In fact, I\'ve been collecting parts and i have enough to build another one!! I\'m lacking hood and door hinges and quarter windows. But i don\'t need opening doors nessesarily and i can cut new windows from clear sheet! Plus the next \'55 is already in red oxide primer! Don\'t even have to paint it!! i smell a B/Gasser coming!!!
__55_Chevy_Hardtop_19.jpg

Re:\'55 Bel Air Rebuild 12 years, 9 months ago #20

I grew up about 6 miles from Lion\'s Drag Strip in So. Cal and spent many saturday nights watching the bracket races. This one would fit right in! I\'ve never used the foils, I\'d rather hand paint the trim, even though it\'s tedious. Is it worth the effort or is painting easier?

Re:\'55 Bel Air Rebuild 12 years, 9 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
If the trim is separate I would think that painting would be easier. I would also paint molded in/on chrome by hand or mask off larger areas or long stripes.

Re:\'55 Bel Air Rebuild 12 years, 9 months ago #22

Well guys, for me foil is easier. With my health the way it is I just cannot hold myself steady enough to control the brush like that. And besides, if the foil goes in right there\'s nothing looks better!! And there are good and not so good foils. and I\'m fighting not so good right now! it\'s too thick and too much glue!! I\'m gonna pickup some BMF next week at the hobby shop, then we\'ll see!!

Re:\'55 Bel Air Rebuild 12 years, 9 months ago #23

Junior Boarder
i aagree, there is nothing like BMF foil! but it really sucks when it goes bad!!! once you get used to using it, its a breeze!!
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration