Rat Rod Buildup
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rat Rod Buildup

Re:Rat Rod Buildup 12 years, 9 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
You want cracked and chipped???
Try painting laquer or Acrylic over enamal paint. Cracks up and then you can chip away to your hearts content. Last time I did it it looked like a real vinyl for a while. It sat for a few hours and then you could see the red under the black. That was Acrylic Laquer Black over Enamal Red. I don\'t know if you sprayed it with clear Varathane it would stay looking like a real vinyl roof or not. Have not tried. I was so disappointed I stripped it and started over. LOL Jim N

Re:Rat Rod Buildup 12 years, 9 months ago #17

I\'ve seen where this guystuck a length of thread on a body and procedded to apply putty and paint like normal. Then when dry grab the end of the thread and pull it out, cracking the paint and putty work to look like a bad bondo job!!! MoparMarc knows him. His name is Keith Ross and he is the Ninja master of weathering, rust, and failed paint jobs!! All his builds look like they sat out behind the barn for 30 years or more!! When he gives tip son weathering, everybody stops and listens!! LOL!!

Re:Rat Rod Buildup 12 years, 9 months ago #18

The model airplane guys I know paint glossy silver first then the color coat and the color doesn\'t stick well to the gloss silver. They take a piece of masking tape and \"pull\" the paint off the silver in just a few places, making it look like fresh damage to the finish. It looks very convincing.

Re:Rat Rod Buildup...Hot Rod Lincoln 12 years, 9 months ago #19

here\'s another rod I put together this week. I started with a very similar rod that was fire warped badly! I\'ve been scrounging parts together for this and even had to chop a Tall T body. it\'s got a Lincoln engine topped with 6 one bbl carbs. It\'s not quite done yet, as I\'m thinking about changing the rolling stock for something more \"old skool\".
__25_Model_T_Rod_6.jpg

Re:Rat Rod Buildup...Hot Rod Lincoln 12 years, 9 months ago #20

Velocity stacks! It\'s brilliant!Love the chop and the rims. Where\'d you hide the fuel tank?

Re:Rat Rod Buildup 12 years, 9 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Fuel tank is probably behind the fire wall. Sure would like to see some different wheels and rims on this one. NOt that these are bad or anything, they look great, Back country Mudder, but period wheels and tires would look better. Maybe some baby moons. JN

Re:Rat Rod Buildup 12 years, 9 months ago #22

These are different, I think it hits the current rat rod dead on. The rims are old skool mag style with the more recent gold like plate and the wide tires plant all that HP to the ground. That would fry the hides right off a set of skinny wide whites, however, I can see the moons on a set of wide chrome reverse....

Re:Rat Rod Buildup...Hot Rod Lincoln 12 years, 9 months ago #23

In the turtle deck!! that little trunk the Model T\'s had. I don\'t believe there would be room in the cowl for a fuel tank and the driver\'s feet!! LOL!!

Re:Rat Rod Buildup...Hot Rod Lincoln 12 years, 9 months ago #24

My dad had his tank in the cowl on his 1.1 28 sedan. His 6ft 1in and barely fit in the thing as it was. 8 inch chop and 6\'1\" don\'t really work together. This time around, I think the tank will go under the back seat, with some serious sheet metal work to isolate it from the inside. Had enough of the gas fumes. That duplicolor you\'re using, you can strip the color off it without hurting the primer coat?

Re:Rat Rod Buildup...Hot Rod Lincoln 12 years, 9 months ago #25

No, it comes off too when stripping. But\'s no big deal to reprime. the primer will etch into the plastic a bit but it doesn\'t hurt anythingIt\'s very compatable with styrene! Even when you strip it off, what\'s etched into the plastic will still be smooth to the touch! Basicly it will fill into any faults in the surface, which is what you want a good primer to do. Nice thing is you can apply it as light or heavy as you need. It\'s sandable!!!

Re:Rat Rod Buildup...Hot Rod Lincoln 12 years, 9 months ago #26

I use the sandable primer to paint the rocks on my train layout. Works really well and looks real, with a little practice.

Re:Rat Rod Buildup...Hot Rod Lincoln 12 years, 9 months ago #27

Junior Boarder
i never thought of that!! huh, very cool!!!
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration