AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500

AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 12 years, 10 months ago #1

Here\'s one of my current projects, an AMT Peterbilt California hauler kit T 500 that I bought missing some key parts. It came without tires, missing some windows and the grill and had about three different colors/coats of paint on it. I soaked it in 91% isopropyl alcohol for a few days and scrubbed it with a hard toothbrush to get most of the paint off, then some light sanding and almost good as new. The seats are from a couple of AMT Kenworth kits and the extra battery box is from a newer AMT Pete. The air lines are bead wire, 26 gauge.
AMT_T_500_1n2.jpg
Last Edit: 12 years, 10 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re:AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 12 years, 10 months ago #2

In addition to the missing parts, the cab was broken and required some minor repairs. The missing grill was an easy fix, I had a couple extra from the newer version of the kit in the junk box. The front axle was a mess, the hubs were glued together and the linkage was missing, so I am replacing it with the axle from the newer version as well.
AMT_T_500_3n4.jpg

Re:AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 12 years, 10 months ago #3

Junior Boarder
Looking good so far. It seems wierd only have a single rear axle on a frame that long.

Re:AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 12 years, 10 months ago #4

Think west coast belly dumps or hay flats, onion or tomato tubs and you\'ll be on board. When I bought the kit, it was part built up, so I was kind of stuck with what I got. Once the rest of the frame details are in place, it won\'t seem so \"odd\". If I hook it up to a set of flats, it will need a head board, so that will also take up some space. I kind of build on the fly, and ideas jump in all the time. I\'ve got some trailer suspensions out there in the junk box...

Re:AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 12 years, 10 months ago #5

Gonna be a sweet little day cab! That would be a perfect tractor for a rock bucket! Down here in Florida they run what some call the \"Florida Hot Rod\". Usually a single axle tractor with a dump trailer. Like the AMT/Ertl dump trailer with the shorter bed. You see these EVERYWHERE djuring the work week. I drove a couple of them myself!! And they haul mostly limerock from the various mines all over the state. They do sometimes run the longer dumps, but you limited by weight to how much you can carry. sio the shorter dump bed is king! I dove a single screw Mack R model when i hauled one of these.

Re:AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 11 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
that looks really good .... that can be a patience tester

Re:AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 11 years, 7 months ago #7

Wow! Fell asleep at the keyboard on this. I\'ve got to get some finished pics posted, and dust the thing off. It\'s been sitting on hthe shelf for over a year now.

Re:AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 11 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I have a few builds in 1:43 that have been sitting for about the same length of time. Some less some more. I know how you feel. Oh Wow, I should do that one. Next on the list. Good luck fellow builder I know how you feel.

Re:AMT Peterbilt 359 T 500 11 years, 7 months ago #9

That\'s just it. I finished this off a year or more back and never posted finished pics of it. It\'s sitting on a shelf just above my monitor, still waiting for me to take pics. Must have way too many projects going again.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration