Dodge L 700 Tractor
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dodge L 700 Tractor

Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #1

Hi! Hippie posted his Dodge L 700 over on the cars 50 racing transporter thread, so I thought I\'d post my version of the L 700. About the only parts from the kit are the cab and interior. The rims are from the Revell Freightliner FLD 120 with the Dodge kits tires. The front axle is also from the FLD. The tanks and rear axles/suspension and fifth wheel are from AMT kits in my junk boxes, along with the exhaust and the engine is a Detroit 8v71 cut down to a 6v71. The frame is .040 Evergreen sheet with a couple of AMT crossmembers for luck. All the airlines, electrical and fuel lines are bead wire except the front axle air brakes which are heavy duty fishing string for flexibility.
Dodge_L_700_tractor_3_n_4.jpg

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #2

It was a bit of a job fitting the Detroit under the cab, I had planned on putting a turbo on top of the blower, but it would have ended up in the cab with the driver. This is a really fun kit to build, and was even more fun to customize.
Dodge_L_700_tractor_2_n_5.jpg
Last Edit: 12 years, 10 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #3

Junior Boarder
Very nice build, it looks great. I want one of the new releases so I can get one built.

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #4

That\'s awesome! The little Dodge never had it so good! I built the new one, but i want to build a second one as i have an idea for it!

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #5

\"TV Tommy Ivo had one that he used to haul his dragsters and his \'Vette around with. I toyed with the idea of building, but never got around to.
Dodge_L_700_Tommy_Ivo_hauler_s.jpg

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #6

Junior Boarder
Now that is cool, do you have anymore pics of that?? I want to try and stretch the frame on one and make it a rollback but right now the only kit of the L-700 I have is an original IMC that is still sealed and I wantt to build a few of the new releases before I muck up an old original LOL.

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #7

I\'ve only got two images of Tommy\'s Dodge, I wish I had more. The L 700 kits are all over evilbay (my wife\'s term \'cause I spent so much on there) for 18.95 tractor only, and 34.95 for the tractor trailer and a 40 Ford. They are fairly easy to build, but there is a section putting the door hinges in that is very unclear. A little trial and error and lots of patience needed when you are doing it. Definitly test fit several times before you glue. I\'ve got another in progress with the streched frame for an AMT delivery van body.I\'ll get some pics of it and get them posted.
Dodge_L_700_Tommy_Ivo_hauler_l.jpg

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #8

Here\'s the other Dodge I have going at the moment. The stock frame rails are laying next to it. The new frame is .040 plastic with fuel tanks from an AMT Peterbilt, the axles and rear suspension are from an AMT Kenworth, and an automatic transmission from the junkbox. Air and electric lines are 26 gauge bead wire and the fuel lines are 20 gauge.
Dodge_L_700_box_van_combo-bc3b553ae44f8dc037d14e017798598b.jpg

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #9

Junior Boarder
Looking good. I have some pics in my email somewhere of a 1/1 L700 with a ramp bed on it. Ok maybe I don\'t, what a bummer. I just put a request up on the group where it was posted and hopefully somebody has them.

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #10

I thought about doing something like that!! But if I get another L-700 it;ll probably do hauler duty for my race team!
Speaking of haulers, here\'s a new pic of my Ford Hauler with my new Challenger Funny Car loaded and ready to go to the track!
Challenger_Funny_Car_8.jpg

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #11

AMT did a kit like that with a tractor pull 5 engine monster on it. I have the ramp body and the tractor in a box out in the garage. It didn\'t survive the move here.

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #12

Ugh! Hate to hear that!! I had that pulling tractor kit once and traded it off! I got an offer i couldn\'t refuse!! LOL!! Wish I hadn\'t done that now. I canalways hope for a reissue!
That ramp body has been with me since \'74 It\'s been thru 10 moves and 3 rebuilds! The most recent was year before last. The old Louisville truck was beat and broken!!So I used one of Coke edition Short Haulers and built a totally new truck for the body, and decked it out with a bunch of goodies from the Revell Ford Aeromax kit! It\'s even got high back bucket seats and a chrome diamond plate floorboard!

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 12 years, 10 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
That is one sweet rig Hippie. Keep it alive, I always say, anyway you can. JN

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 11 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
is the cab from the lindbergh kit

Re:Dodge L 700 Tractor 11 years, 7 months ago #15

This is from the reissue put out in 2006 I believe. It was something I\'ve wanted to build for decades, and when the reissue came out, I jumped at the chance. I\'ve still got a couple tractor only kits waiting their turn, and another L-700 waiting to be finished.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration