Unfinished Project from 2008: SUYOTA
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For road, rally and racing cars, bikes, trucks, buses and everything in between!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unfinished Project from 2008: SUYOTA

Unfinished Project from 2008: SUYOTA 11 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Here\'s the idea behind this insane scheme... Subaru and Toyota struck a deal in 2008 to make a Drift car for Subaru. Which meant that you\'d throw out all the 4wd drive train of the Subaru and marry it all with the rear diff of a Toyota.

We\'re still waiting and I hear crickets...

Having found a couple of WRX kitsets in the rubbish alongside the road (who can blame them), I thought I\'d build a Ratrod Suyota.

Easier said than done. I commenced building it immediately after finding a suitable rear axle donor... A Jeep Wrangler.

So let\'s commence with the picture show&tell.

First cut the WRX body in half.

Next, fit the chassis of the Jeep and tires.

The rear wheels and tires are a mixture between the Subaru mag covers and the Jeep tires and inner wheels components. This was not easy, used a special drill bit to widen one side so the mag would fit.

Skipping over several bit of enthusiasm I suddenly remembered I had a camera.

Then more than a year passed and after many projects thought I might tackle where I stand with this unfinished project. Which means, my dear friends, I\'m totally stuck.

To The Scrapyard : SUYOTA 11 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Yes, you\'ve read right. The fate of this kit hangs in the balance. I\'m planning to take it into the back yard and shoot it. Or drop something heavy on it.
In the old days Double Happy\'s made kits explode. We don\'t have any decent fireworks anymore.
But yes... the apathy is deafening.

I do not have the creative buzz necessary to finish this project.

And as no one else is interested its got to go.

Re:To The Scrapyard : SUYOTA 11 years, 4 months ago #3

That would be a major undertaking! I\'m not sure I\'d know which way to go myself. Finish it off as a Ute, and post it on evilpay!

Re:To The Scrapyard : SUYOTA 11 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
yeah, its been well over a year and I just hate this car more. Even though I can still visualize the finished model in a pictursque still diorama setting. It should\'ve been my first diorama kit that\'s radically different. Oldtruck, you\'ve given me a little hope to continue this insane project. Words of encouragement mean a lot.

Last Edit: 11 years, 4 months ago by RVREVO.

Re:To The Scrapyard : SUYOTA 11 years, 4 months ago #5

LOL! I\'ve got stuff in boxes here from when I was on the road, builds I was working on in the sleeper on layovers that I pull out and look at from time to time. I never give up, but stepping away for couple to regroup always helps me. Especially on some of the big builds, like this pumper I\'ve had going for about 5 years now. If I\'d get off my duff and go into town, I could take pics of the rig that has the top mount panel they have and get going on it, just never seem to have the camera or time or interest all at the same time. It\'ll come to you, give it time.

Re:To The Scrapyard : SUYOTA 11 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
thanks mate

Re:To The Scrapyard : SUYOTA 11 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Richard this is not like you to quit.  Let your imagination run wild and get some plasticine and mould it onto the rear and style it to the shape that you will be satisfied with. Then take a plaster cast of the finish styling feature. Clean up the plaster plug, wax it a few times. Then make a Fiberglas splash or laminate in the mould. Then trim it if necessary to fit onto the back of this longtime inspiration from the closet. Instead of fiberglass you can even use some body filler by smoothing the mix thinly over the mould surface, strengthen it with a bit of gauze bandage stuff. Let it dry and clean up and trim if needed and fit it on the Dune bugger off roader. There you go, see nothing is impossible like Old 56 has written above.
Last Edit: 11 years, 4 months ago by GunnerJim. Reason: Typo\'s

Re:To The Scrapyard : SUYOTA 11 years, 4 months ago #8

I\'ve been mulling this one over all morning, and I think you could use the rear clip, cut just above the wheel arches as the outer body. Then it\'s just a matter of capping off the top edge and you could leave the inside open to show the work you\'ve done on the chassis.

Re:To The Scrapyard : SUYOTA 11 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thought of that too, but the only part I want on the rear I have trouble building... a tray.

Don\'t worry, I have a little time on my hands to figure things out. Might get this little beastie done yet.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration