Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread

Re: Quiralu Rolls Royce 6 years ago #511

Platinum Boarder
One of my favorite subjects regarding the history of Rolls Royce is the important role these cars played in British ruled India. The first Rolls Royce was imported in the Indian subcontinent by a Lancastrian business man, Frank Norbury, in 1908. This Silver Ghost was named The Pearl of the East. It was purchased second hand by the Maharadja of Gwalior who, being very fond of pearls, gave the look of the car some extra lustre by mixing ground pearls in the paint he applied. So the story goes.

The Pearl of the East (no longer existing) was the start of a Rolls Royce buying frenzy by the Indian maharadjas.

The Pearl of the East

Rolls Royce was looking for a way to promote their cars in India and it was handed the best possible marketing tool on a silver plate: the Delhi Durbar, held in 1911.

Pictures from the Delhi Durbar

The Delhi Durbar was the re-enactment of the crowning of King George V and his wife Queen Mary in India, an event of overwhelming collosal proportions. Representatives of all 600 Indian princely states were present to pay hommage to their new king/emperor.

Rolls Royce volutarily placed eight Silver Ghosts at the disposal of the king and his senior officials. A brilliant piece of product promotion; from that moment on, Rolls Royce had arrived in India.

Line up at the Delhi Durbar

One of the DD cars in front of Waterloo Mansions in Bombay.

My code 3 conversion of a Yesteryear Y7 is meant to reproduce one of these eight cars.

Last Edit: 6 years ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim, RoutemasterNL

Re: Quiralu Rolls Royce 6 years ago #512

Platinum Boarder
Good idea, nice result.

Congratulations !

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #513

Platinum Boarder
A fascinating post - and an excellent conversion Gerrit!  You always come up with the goods.  

Dave.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #514

Platinum Boarder
That particular model from "Matchbox" has made a near perfect match for the chosen subject, but does show why not many commercially available models are released in the colour Black, it hides all the detail!

If anyone is interested, the "Matchbox" model chosen by Gerrit (hope you don'y mind me now refering to you as such, instead of my usual way with "Ecclesley"), is based on chassis number 1721 with Hooper coachwork, but Lesney made it as a Landaulette instead of the closed body of the real car. I believe this was due to them not being able to cast a one-piece body successfully and had to use some 'Artistic Lisence' but in this case it has actually helped with the final model Gerrit has achieved and very good it is as well, do Seven more and the whole fleet of Delhi cars can be shown together as models, great stuff.

Rollerman.
Last Edit: 6 years ago by TheRollerman.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #515

Platinum Boarder
That particular model from "Matchbox" has made a near perfect match for the chosen subject, but does show why not many commercially available models are released in the colour Black, it hides all the detail!

If anyone is interested, the "Matchbox" model chosen by Gerrit (hope you don'y mind me now refering to you as such, instead of my usual way with "Ecclesley"), is based on chassis number 1721 with Hooper coachwork, but Lesney made it as a Landaulette instead of the closed body of the real car. I believe this was due to them not being able to cast a one-piece body successfully and had to use some 'Artistic Lisence' but in this case it has actually helped with the final model Gerrit has achieved and very good it is as well, do Seven more and the whole fleet of Delhi cars can be shown together as models, great stuff.

Rollerman.

Re: Quiralu Rolls Royce 6 years ago #516

Platinum Boarder
Ecclesley,        Well done.                     

"IT LOOKS FACTORY TO ME"    

dinkyboy  

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #517

Platinum Boarder
TheRollerman wrote:

Rollerman.

Well Rollerman, you can call me Gerrit all day long, and then some. That name sounds familiar to me and I am used to it since my birth

You are right, the colour black does not always give a very presentable picture. I did some fiddling around to give it an antique look; more in line with the 1911 photo techniques.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #518

Platinum Boarder
The Pearl of the East and the line up of Rolls awaiting for their pickup at Delhi Durbar snip-its of history adds to the thoroughness reproduction for this vehicle made during that time of King George V and Queen Mary rule over India.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #519

Platinum Boarder
This 1929 Rolls Royce Phantom I hearse, chassis # 85OR, is part of the movie "The Big Job", produced in 1965.

I made my code 3 Rolls Royce Phantom I hearse on the basis of a Yesteryear Y36. The coffin, appropriately the bonnet of a Corgi Rolls Royce.

Funny enough a similar code 3 object was sold on Ebay last weekend, it fetched almost 40 quid. Mine is not for sale!

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #520

Very well executed Gerrit. How did you manage to get the silver window outlines so straight and clean?

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #521

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Very well executed Gerrit. How did you manage to get the silver window outlines so straight and clean?

Thanks Theo, I did hardly touch those lines, they are already there ex-factory. Only did some spot corrections. The coach is made of 3 separate parts, the bonnet, the upper cabin section and the lower cabin section. So, no need to spray the upper part.

Quite an easy job really, except taking this car apart, which is a nightmare.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #522

Platinum Boarder
Ecclesley wrote:

Mine is not for sale!

What a pitty it is not ! Isn't it ?

How do they say ?... "It looks factory to me".

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #523

Senior Boarder
I have now gone through the 35 pages of these posts and found it all very interesting.

I am keen to at least try and do some of the code 3 Royal vehicles for my collection.

I just hope they are as good as Gerrit's outstanding work.

Bob

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #524

Platinum Boarder
Terrific work.

Curious to know if you pondered the idea of concealing the rear door lines.

May be biased but yours is better than the one sold on Ebay.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/034-Matchbox-Models-O...rksid=p2047675.l2557
Last Edit: 6 years ago by CorgiCrossEyed.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 6 years ago #525

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bob, I am curious how your code 3 Royal Rolls Royces turn out.

Also many thanks CCE,

In fact I was thinking about concealing those rear door lines when I had finished the model, so I left it as it was.

The Ebay model seller should at least have painted the wheels, to let it look more hearse-ish. Well I liked doing this one, another one might follow, and who knows how that is going to turn out.

In the mean time I found this code 3 Dinky 150 Silver Wraith ice cream car on Ebay. A combination of an Oxford Diecast (Bedford) ice cream van, mated to a Dinky 150 front.

Isn't that cute, I just love this creativity, it gives me inspiration.
The Rolls Royce of Ice Cream (should be very smooth).