Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 12 months ago #466

Platinum Boarder
I think you posted a 1907 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost a while ago. I came across an email from a friend and guess what was in there. The same car. If you would like the whole powerpoint presentation, (lots of nice old cars of that era) let me know and I can email it to you. contact me at...... This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #467

Platinum Boarder
Yes it is silver and yes it is a Silver Ghost, but not THE Silver Ghost. This one has a different name of its own: Silver Rogue. It was one of a small series of 70 HP (instead of 40/50 HP) experimental 1908 Rolls Royces with overhead valves. HP could very well mean High Performance here. This particular car, chassis 60737, was driven by Eric Platford, a long standing and loyal, early employee of "Pa" (as he was called in the factory) Royce. This car achieved notable success in several long distance trials, seen here (in the back) pitted against a Daimler.

More Silver Ghosts were given romantic or apocryphal names like Grey Ghost, Silver Silence, Silver Wraith (also a RR model of the fifties), Town Mouse, Sluggard, Mary Rose, Silver Dawn (also a RR model of the fifties), The Mystery, White Knave, Auld Lady, Pearl of the East, Silver Fairy, Throne Car and the subject of my next "Silver Ghost" The Dragonfly.

The Silver Rogue:

Last Edit: 5 years, 11 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #468

Platinum Boarder
This car I finished today is a compilation of all sorts.
I had this Simplex chassis and coach lying around.

To make it into a RR Silver Ghost , I put on some wheels from a junk Cadillac, the bonnet from a Silver Ghost parts bin, front seat and scuttle from a wrecked Crossley and finally the hood came in today to make it complete.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #469

Mr. Rolls and Mr. Royce would be proud of you Gerrit, well done
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #470

Platinum Boarder
A nice job there Gerrit. Just goes to show these spares come in usefull.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #471

Platinum Boarder
Yet another masterpiece Gerrit, well done once again!  

Dave

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #472

Platinum Boarder
This is Dragonfly, chassis number 60751 from 1908, one of the few 70HP Silver Ghosts.

The car was owned by Lord Montagu Douglas Scott, a motorist of the very first hour, great friend of Charles Rolls . Lord Montagu's secretary, Miss Eleanor Thornton is believed to be the person who stood model for the Spirit of Ecstacy, the famous Rolls Royce hood ornament since 1911. This ornament the work of sculptor Charles Robinson Sykes.

Sykes also made a painting of Dragonfly for the 1910/11 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost brochure. By then the car was painted in a cream colour (probably my next project)

Here the early 1908 Dragonfly based on a Y10 Yesteryear Silver Ghost.

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #473

Platinum Boarder
I reserved the last from a batch of 8 James Bond Rolls Royces to make a look-alike of my own Silver Shadow.

This will do:

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #474

Looking absolutely marvelous! The paint is a perfect match, glad it went well for you Gerrit.
Are you going to make matching numberplates too?
Let me guess: RR1978 ?

Re: Ecclesley's Rolls Royce and Bentley code 3 thread 5 years, 11 months ago #475

Platinum Boarder
RR1978 it will be Theo.

quiralu rolls royce 5 years, 11 months ago #476

Platinum Boarder
This original Quiralu Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I with limousine coachwork by Hooper is of 1958 vintage.

It will come up for restoration very soon.

Re: Quiralu Rolls Royce 5 years, 11 months ago #477

Never seen one before, Are you going to restore it in black?

Re: Quiralu Rolls Royce 5 years, 11 months ago #478

Here's one you may be interested in.....

www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1...amp;utm_term=lot.cfm

Niall

Re: Quiralu Rolls Royce 5 years, 11 months ago #479

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Never seen one before, Are you going to restore it in black?

For Quiralu Rolls Royce, you need to see Corky's site. Thanks Stéphane this is soo good!

www.corky.fr/?page_id=628

I already have one, but that is a re-issue from 1994, this is the real McCoy. They are quite rare and pretty pricy. Re-issues around 35/40 Euro and originals generally way above that. I was lucky getting it for 25 euro, because of the state it is in.

No it won't be black, cause that is a non original colour a.f.a.i.k.

I will make it two tone, not having decided on which combination yet.
Here some ideas, the grey over dark grey (re-issue) already in my cabinet.

Here the real deal:

Re: Quiralu Rolls Royce 5 years, 11 months ago #480

Platinum Boarder
Dublin6 wrote:
Here's one you may be interested in.....

www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1...amp;utm_term=lot.cfm

Niall

Thank you Niall. These cars certainly attract my attention. I won't buy it, because I cannot afford it, and they are too complicated and valuable to drive it as regularly as I drive my Shadow. I think I will stick to a Shadow now and in the future. I was thinking about buying something older than my current 1978 RR, but I guess I won't. Prices for Silver Clouds, - Dawns and - Wraiths have gone up considerably of late.

I think I will buy another Shadow in the near future, one in a more perfect state than I have now.