Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodore Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodore Restoration

Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodore Restoration 11 years ago #1

Platinum Boarder
With Photo Bucket ending the hot links to the site, I am in the process of replacing pictures. This is the first.

Well, not much happening on the site tonight so thought I would give an in progress report on my latest restoration to be put up on eBay. Maybe I will keep it if it turns out not so good but I think this will be a seller...LaToya may get mad at me for this as it is one of the models i received for doing the tc vans but it is mine to do with as I please. Here we go. As bought and stripping first.
BRB have to upload pics.
Back and with pictures. Here are the as bought photos and the photos of the stripping and primering.

Next the masking and painting.

Here we have the masking. Can you tell what I am doing? Will be different than what was originally produced so would be a Code 3 but a mild one. Any guesses as to what is different?
Stay tuned as I will be finishing this off tomorrow and post more tomorrow night. Second coat of paint is drying and masking will be coming off soon so just assembly to go now
Jim
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 12 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Well, I have finished up my Hudson Project and have ended up with a Code 3 Model. Richard called it Radical when I showed it to him this morning. I finished  up a couple days ago. Here it is unmasked.

Now Three views of the Finished car.

Now the remainder of the pictures. Modeled off a Canadian RCMP Patrol car, I made my own decals for this model. I have done three others, the Dinky Clubman Mini and 2 Dinky Transit Vans also in RCMP Livery.

Hope you enjoyed the show and the build. I will be back with my next project shortly. Stay Tuned. Jim

PS: For those of you who have never see our cop cars with the rainbow stripes, here is a couple of side shots. Chevy, I think, I can never tell the newer cars apart any more.

Here are the pics of the transit vans and the two models I started with.

Here is the second Transit Van as received.

Found the shots of the mini. What a mess it was. As Received.

Interior, wheels, window unit and fixing screw.

But I fixed it up real nice.

Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 12 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
and now the fleet is complete.

Doc Hudson as the Highway Patrol

Mini Clubman as the town shopping cart

And the Transit Van as the Paddywagon

Totally Radical, Jim. Nice.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 12 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
s77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/Nobleco/R...%20Vans/?action=view¤t=FordTransitVan1asbought.jpg

This be the type 1 Transit in red... I figure a TC model that\'s lost its way

Last Edit: 10 years, 12 months ago by RVREVO. Reason: red transit dont show up

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 12 months ago #5

Gold Boarder
Very nice Jim

I could never get to that standard.There is obviously a lot i need to learn. lol.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 12 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
depends on how early you start, Kev. I\'m not as skilled as Jim though, that\'s a fact.

Having fun is the key. You see a toy car that can have so much more and you see something in it that you want to bring out... like a sculpture.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration 10 years, 12 months ago #7

Senior Boarder
Nice work Jim. Great creativity and skill with the decals and positioning.  Good to see the variety across the models and livery. Crisp paint work as usual

Was there ever a Hudson Patrol car like yours or for that matter any real life verisons of your code 3\'s.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 12 months ago #8

Gold Boarder
RVREVO wrote:
depends on how early you start, Kev. I\'m not as skilled as Jim though, that\'s a fact. Having fun is the key. You see a toy car that can have so much more and you see something in it that you want to bring out... like a sculpture.

Ive been restoring for about 6 years and i think i have a long way to go yet \"lol\".

I do like reaching the end and admire the end results.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 12 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I noticed in the Photo-bucket stream, the base plate and axles had a little bit of rust on them which was not evident while the base plate was attached. All those repaints and especially the logo badge RCMP, really looks great there Mate. Another great job.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration 10 years, 12 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
GunnerJim, yes, it is amazing how bad the inside of a model can be and yet you don\'t see it from the outside. This was a very rusty base but not the worst I have had. I did an Alvis base and after cleaning the rust off you could not read the print it was so pitted. Still looks good but you can\'t tell what toy it is from the base. I use vinegar to remove the rust from Tin base plates and axles.
Kevin, all you need is practice, practice, practice. I can\'t tell you how many times I have painted a model and not been happy with it. Back into the stripper tank it goes for a second and sometimes third time.
I have only been doing die cast restorations for a little over 3 years now, maybe getting on 4 years. I seem to be doing about 3 or 4 models a month back then and not very good but not bad. This last year I have done well over 150 plus model, including the 50 for Toy Collector. I have over 25 coming from customers so I expect to do over 200 this year. That is how you get good at this. Do lots of single colors and then get into the two tones. Masking tape that does not stick to the paint work is good too. I use Tamyia and it is great.
Keep at it all you home restorers. The pleasure you get out of completing your first good model is worth all the pain and frustration of trying to get it right. Just be patient.
Jim

Last Edit: 10 years, 12 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
That hudson is absolutely stunning

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Modelguru wrote:
That hudson is absolutely stunning
Thanks, Modelguru, it was a fun build and I had made the decals for a previous model so just had to resize them to fit the Commodore. I have a few more in different make planned and will show them when the are done. Don\'t hold your breath though

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 10 years, 10 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
If you are like i am then holding my breath could be fatal

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 9 years ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Just bought one of these among about 20 others, looking forward to getting it

Undecided on the colours yet but may copy whats left of the old paint.

Re:Another Project by Nobleco Hudson Commodor Restoration,oops Code3 9 years ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Question for you Jim, the back axle on the Hudson has the wheels fitted on loose is this correct?
  • Page: