Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration

Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I know I posted this over 8 years ago now but with Photo Bucket ending Hot Linking photos it was time to update this thread from my computer. Enjoy once again.

Well another toy I had been wanting and looking for for quite some time came into my hands about a year ago. I had this crane as a child and loved it. One of my favorites and got lots of play hours with it. This one was very inexpensive, probably due to the condition. Badly repainted as you will see in the photos. There were a few tough spots along the way but I got it all worked out in the end and I am very happy with the final results. Sit back and enjoy the restoration of this wonderful working toy. As you can see from these as received pictures the crane was in bad need of restoration.

Next was the dis-assembly which was pretty straight forward. There are an awful lot of parts to this crane.

Next I stripped all the paint off with paint stripper. I glass bead blasted the main body parts and then Primed them.

Here they are stripped.

Once through the bead blaster is not enough. The boom is not stripped.

I took the paint off the boom and then primed the main parts.

Next was painting the main body parts. In the mean time I have stripped the base, hubs and a few other parts of paint and repainted them. I do my hubs by hand most of the time. I polish the axles in my drill press using 600 grit emery cloth. I cleaned up the winders and springs and polished up the top pulley on the mast.
Here are some more pictures I am adding as I am editing the posting.

Yellow always seems to take a number of coats to cover.

Now they look better with a couple extra coats on the Yellow. Orange is two coats.

A look into the workings of the winder systems.

As I said earlier, I like to polish up the metal and this pulley is no exception. See further down for installing the boom to the crane body.

Cab body with base attached. Note the springs under the flat spots on the winders. They have to face the correct way or the will not work properly.

Next comes the fun part, Assembly. I started out by installing all the wheels and axles.

Shell above

Installed rear wheels below.

Now the installed front wheels too.Below is the front base with axle and wheels installed.

]Next, I started assembling the Crane Cab with its winders. These are a pain in the you know what and I think next time I am not going to remove them. It took quite a while to peen the ends back over and the handle, being bent, kept wanting to bend on me and I was afraid it was going to break. It did not and this is what I got for my efforts.

Next came the base to the Cab.

I showed the inside workings of the cab above.

Don't forget the Operator and the Driver.

Next came attaching the pulley to the boom and then the boom to the cab.

Then it was time to attach the unit to the truck. I wrapped the boom in some soft material to protect it and the truck during installation. I had pried off the washer during dis-assembly so now I just tapped it back on slowly with a punch and small hammer. Resting the toy on lots of padding during the process.

Above you can see the rivet and washer that holds the cab to the chassis.

Here it is finally assembled. Decal next.

I made my own side stripes for the crane. They work out very well. Not sure if there is supposed to be one on the rear below \"Coles\" or not. I am very happy with this model and I am sure it will sell for a good dollar.

Now to pick something up.

I hope you enjoyed my little show. It was very satisfying to complete this one, finally, after a year or more of waiting. Jim
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #2

Very nice work Jim! What hook did you use on the line? I\'ve got a couple projects going that require crane hooks, and I\'m trying to find one I like.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Rob, This one is my all metal hook for early cranes, tow trucks etc. I also have one with the wire insert. The wire turns in the casting too. I just put one on the store that I painted Flat Black for the crane but then decided I like the all metal one better.

Crane_and_Tow_Truck_Hook_Black.JPG
Last Edit: 10 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #4

Senior Boarder
You should be well pleased with the outcome.  What a transformation.  I take it the colours are original?

Out of interest I wondered if you keep a record of how long such a project takes? 

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Yes, they are the original colors. My supplier has computer matched paints. I just have to match up the color before I strip the model. This one I had to take apart for a good sample of the paint colors.
I don\'t really keep track of my time as this is the hobby part of my life. If I had to guess I would say 8 to 10 hours tops, not including drying time which brings it to about a week or a little more. With mixing paint, spraying the color and then cleaning up the equipment, each coat of paint takes about 1/2 hour to do. Each color has primer base (1 day to dry) First coat (1 day to dry) and second coat (1 day to dry). I like to make sure the paint is dry and reasonably hard before assembly. Stripping takes about 1 hour, bead blasting about 10 minutes or less. Assembly on this model was done over two days but only took about 1 1/2 hours. It took about 1 hour to get the striped  decal right but after coating with Krylon Clear Varnish, it dried over night. Decaling took about 20 minutes.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
An awesome restore. That one will fetch a good couple of hundred now.

I missed out on getting a Coles Crane again. That\'s the third one I didn\'t win within 2 years.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Well, I don\'t think I will be selling this one anytime soon. I did find out that there is a stripped decal on the rear below the Coles. I put the Coles a little to low so had to cut the decal down some. Fits and looks good and will post a pic soon.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #8

Senior Boarder
For what was involved I would have thought it would have taken even longer.  It will display extremely well. I would imagine a pristine original will be quite expensive but certainly will not be as crisp as yours.

Sounds like you do your own decals.  Do you use an ordinary inkjet printer? 

I note you leave a day for the undercoat to dry.  Is this necessary or is it to ensure a harder base. 

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I usually spray a fairly thick prime coat on my models. I then lightly sand and then wash and heat dry before painting. The day\'s wait time is so the primer is dry enough to sand. I have followed directions and tried to sand after 2 to 4 hours or more but find the primer balls up on the sand paper unless I let it fully cure.
I don\'t make a lot of decals but some I have to as they are not available, like the stripes on the Crane. I am also doing a Corgi Missile for a customer in Calif. and have to make up the little N,S,E & W plus the red/white checker stripe that wraps around it.
Yes I use a bubble jet printer and then coat with either Krylon Clear Varnish for white decal paper and semi-gloss urethane Clear Coat for the clear decal paper. I don\'t know why but the urethane will not work right on the white decal paper, beads up and won\'t spread evenly.

I do have a laser printer and if only black art work then I can use that but have to make sure it is dry or it will bleed too. I can not do white decals unless they are surrounded by another color. I would need an Alps or something similar that would print white ink. They are just too expensive for my budget or I would get one.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Well don\'t you come in handy there Jim as I have just bought two of these on eBay in England and awaiting their arrival. By the picture and description they are a bit rough around the edges and need some tyres and one hook. Your step by step guide and pictures will help me and others. Great job on the restorations there Jim. Cheers Mate.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Just missed out on getting a Coles meself... was in bad shape and the price rocketed way over my budget.

I did manage to score the crane boom, which could also be used on the Chipperfields truck. Now there\'s a thought.

This is a fantastic restore project. Beautifully restored.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 6 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Well I have decided to sell this crane to the highest bidder. I have another one on the way and it was a fun build so, what the heck. $100 reserve on eBay here;

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...mp;item=370302997207

Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
I have put it on watch because curiosity killed my cat.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 6 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
We shall see what happens over the week. It usually does not get very active until the last day of the auction. Mostly the last 5 minutes.

Re:Dinky Coles 20 Ton Lorry Mounted Crane Restoration 10 years, 6 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
no bids at all.

hope it does pick up.
  • Page: