Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: My Recent Code 3 Customs

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #46

Thanks a lot, you have made it clear how to do it. I had never come up with the idea of  2 layers of decal paper on top of eachother

I have 1 sheet of white and 1 sheet of clear, so I am going to give it a go.

Thanks again

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
Code3_Customs.

Can I ask you if you can up this write up into the Tips and Hints section? Copy and paste should work so you don' have to re write it all. You have very good instructions and I may try them myself this winter. I use the same papers you use but use CorelDraw 11 to make my decals. Not too many mind you as I can't print white but with your method I may be able to.

Thanks, Jim

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #48

Gold Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
Code3_Customs.

Can I ask you if you can up this write up into the Tips and Hints section? Copy and paste should work so you don' have to re write it all. You have very good instructions and I may try them myself this winter. I use the same papers you use but use CorelDraw 11 to make my decals. Not too many mind you as I can't print white but with your method I may be able to.

Thanks, Jim

yes will do... I have it saved so I'll just post it there too...

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #49

I've been layering clear decal paper over silver trim film from Microscale for my Peterbilt emblems on most of my recent builds. Trim film is a bit thicker than regular decal paper and comes in several colors including white and silver. It's not chrome like the bright Bare Metal Foil, but the results has been very nice so far. The emblems and the logos on the mud flaps are made using the clear decal paper with printed red emblems over silver trim film on this 64th scale truck.

I used white trim film for the stripes on this 87th scale truck. It's easier to make the stripes using trim film instead of masking.

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #50

Very good idea Rob, it looks fantastic

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #51

Gold Boarder
I did something similar on that Albion Tow Truck... only painted were the badge go's than stuck a decal over it...

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #52

Gold Boarder
A few more from July 2012...

Last Edit: 8 years, 2 months ago by Code3_Customs.

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
Excellent craftsmanship is all I can add to all those Code's depicted. Great tips on decals too.

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #54

Platinum Boarder
Making boxes......

Not sure if this has been asked before but what kind of printer do you use. I have cards stock, the proper stuff but don't get results like yours. Canon Pixma iP3500 color bubble jet printer.

making decals.......

I clear coat all my decals with an outdoor laquer. Very light and seal perfectly. I also use the angle cut method.
Last Edit: 8 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #55

Gold Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
Making boxes......

Not sure if this has been asked before but what kind of printer do you use. I have cards stock, the proper stuff but don't get results like yours. Canon Pixma iP3500 color bubble jet printer.

making decals.......

I clear coat all my decals with an outdoor laquer. Very light and seal perfectly. I also use the angle cut method.

I use Canon IP1900 inkjet.... it's a standard canon with CISS (continuous ink supply system) fitted... saved hundreds £'s in ink replacement... I do go through 2 or 3 printers a year due to the card stock also I print on High all the time... I have another printer for decals... when the one is worn out printing card I buy a new one for decals and move the old decal one to print the boxes... as I don't try to copy or reproduce any original boxes I just use 6 sheet card stock in white the boxes I make not ment to be a perfect box just something to package the model in really...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 2 months ago #56

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for your reply. I also use a Canon Printer, iP3500 and my wife has an iP3600 but I don't like it. I print lots of envelopes for my sales and her printer wants the envelope in the middle were mine is on the right side. Much easier to feed and you don't have to remove the paper and slide the guides in to hold the envelope.

I print decals on my wife's printer as she does not use it much. All my labels for my tires and tracks are printed on my printer. I go through about 2 black per month at about $10.00 each. Color is about every 3 months at $12.50 each for three cartridges. I don't think a contunuous ink system would save me much so never bought one. Most of my printers cost me $80.00 or less. Lasers I can get for under $50 for straigh black but have no room for a second printer right now.

Thanks for letting me know what you do.

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 1 month ago #57

Gold Boarder
The last few made in July 2012...

and a Shortened MB Foden... to finish of the Month of July 2012

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 1 month ago #58

Again, some fantastic work you did on these. Thanks for sharing

I had a go at the decalmaking, it is tricky, I ruined one sheet that got stuck in my printer so I now stick a piece of decal paper with Scotch Magic Tape on a sheet of paper and print it. that works for me
Last Edit: 8 years, 1 month ago by RoutemasterNL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Code3_Customs

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 1 month ago #59

Platinum Boarder
The other acknowledgement I must add, is the artwork involved in your boxes is excellent and thanks for those tips on this craftwork and printing mentioned by Jim and yourself Code3 Customs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Code3_Customs

Re: My Recent Code 3 Customs 8 years, 1 month ago #60

Platinum Boarder
Yes Theo, best to do it that way for small projects. I do. If I can print across the whole page say, 1/2" high, I do that with a full sheet. It gets shorter as I use it for various decals and I try to use it wisely. I am printing 10 or 20 at a time though, some, like my Herbie the love bug I do a sheet at a time.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL