New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr

New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 1 month, 1 week ago #1

<p>A fellow collector visited me and ask me to give this white metal kit an overhaul. He bought it in France and the kit was put together in a bad way. The axles were loose, in fact the axles were cut off nails and the base was broken. So I have to go for the full treatment.</p>
<p><span style="font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">
</span></span></p>
<p><span style="font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"><span style="font-size: 14px;"><br /></span></span></p>
<p><span style="font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">
</span></span></p>
<p><span style="font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"><span style="font-size: 14px;"><br /></span></span></p>
</span></span></p>
</span></span></p>
</span></span></p>
</span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 1 month, 1 week ago #2

A short history on Buccaneer models:

In 1978, Brian Harvey was horrified by the very high prices being demanded for first series Modelled Miniatures. So he responded with a new series of white metal models, replicas of those early Dinky Toys, called Buccaneer Models to replicate both old Dinky Toys and Tootsietoys. These were sold as both kits and hand built models. (Internet Source: HobbyDB)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 1 month, 1 week ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Looks nice and you have some work cut out for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
The Buccaneer range actually started in 1975 and Brian had permission form Meccano (the owner of Dinky Toys at that time) to make white metal copies of the classic Dinky Toys 30 Series models.

I was a regular visitor to Brian's shop and became the fourth member of staff but their official Rolls-Royce expert which was a nice compliment.

Brian asked me for advice for a few Rolls-Royce and Bentley models the company introduced into their inventory.

I last visited the shop in the mid 1980s and then I moved away from the erea and lost touch with Brian.

He passed away only recently aged 87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL, lark6

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kevin for adding some history to the Buccaneer toy range. Not often you hear from people who actually worked with makers of the copies of Dinky Toys.

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 2 weeks, 6 days ago #6

I have stripped the paint off and came to realize that the casting is very rough. The hubs are made out of white metal and fixed onto an axle which is in fact a cut off nail. The base plate has some wood glued onto it to keep the axles in place. I have removed these pieces of wood and have to find a solution how to reattach the axles. I think I glue a piece of aluminium tube on the bas. Just have to think about it

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 2 weeks, 6 days ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Well you are making progress. The axle tube sounds like the best solution. Not sure if you could cut a tube in half length wise but that would work too. Maybe plastic tubing?

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 2 weeks, 5 days ago #8

Jim, I did not think of cutting a tube into the length. I thought perhaps glue it to the base as a whole tube and slide the axle through

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 2 weeks, 5 days ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Either would work but your method would be simpler and easier. Not the easiest to cut a small tube or pipe in half. Looking forward to the results.

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 2 weeks, 5 days ago #10

Some progress made yesterday. The base had a broken piece. The previous owner glued a piece of wood to keep things together. I removed the wood and used a 0.5mm piece of metal instead. It is the first time I used this new contactglue

The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 2 weeks, 5 days ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>Fingers crossed it will do a good job. I used to show my real Hillman Hunters at car shows in the nineties and a guy used to have a coupe and a sedan  both in maroon and they used to steal the show , they were beautiful cars.</p>
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Andy66.

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 1 week, 4 days ago #12

The car has its first coat of green. The base is mended as I thought it would go. And painted black. I think I have the solution for the axles. I use hollow axles that I glue into the slot which are already on the base. I use new hubs, because the white metal ones are too soft.

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 1 week, 4 days ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Color looks good and good idea on the hubs. Good to hear you have a good solution for the axles. Seems like it will work well.

Re: New Project: Buccaneer 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 1 week, 4 days ago #14

Platinum Boarder
That green suits this model , glad the repair to the base worked, looking forwards to the stage.
  • Page: