Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restored Dinkys I've bought.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 3 weeks ago #16

Platinum Boarder
They all look great , these models in a display cabinet will look factory fresh , when you go to a real classic car show most cars have been restored in my opinion it's great to see these models restored , great to see

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 3 weeks ago #17

Expert Boarder
Andy66 - you're right, these look great in my cabinet alongside the originals. They're a good way to expand the collection without breaking the bank. I buy Atlas Dinkys for the same reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 6 days ago #18

Expert Boarder
<p>Just got this one. £20 + post:</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 6 days ago #19

Platinum Boarder
As some forum members say : "looks factory to me".
The following user(s) said Thank You: peekay

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 6 days ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Yes a very nice looking restoration. Looks to me like the rear pin holding the box to the chassis is a replacement. Maybe the hollow tube with pin type. It is in too nice of a condition to be a hand peened body pin. Most of the had a pinched end on one side. All the ones I have had and restored including my original and the last restoration I did just a few months ago have or had a pinched end.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 6 days ago #21

Expert Boarder
You're right about the pin. I did a little research and it seems all originals were pinched. You have a good eye!
Also, although not so clear in my photos, I would add that the brown paint is a little too grainy and the green a tad too dark when compared to an original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 6 days ago #22

Platinum Boarder
There are variations in the paint colors from the Dinky Factory. You can like up early middle and late versions of the same toy and get different shades of the color. Yours looks very close so I would not worry about it too much. I have a hard time trying to match colors here as I have limited selection to choose from. Gets very hard to match with out computers and a place that can make up the paint for you. I have a 6 to 7 hour drive, each way, to do that in Vancouver and then it is expensive. I have lots of SF paints left but some of the more used colors are running out. Makes it tough.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 5 days ago #23

Expert Boarder
When I finally get to painting my first Dinky/Corgi I will first use the same method I've used on plastic kits for decades ie, acrylic colour coats with a clear coat. I'll use a metal primer though. Not sure it will look great on a Dinky but I have lots of the paint and I'm familiar with it.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 5 days ago #24

Platinum Boarder
The spray cans I use are for Metal, Plastic or Wood. I have even sprayed it on concrete with good results. Good luck with your first Diecast when you get to it.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 4 days ago #25

I don't know who restored them, but the look great! I am sure the restorer used the hollow axles. I sell them too. See this old topic from
7 years ago

www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...d=85837&Itemid=0
  • Page: