Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restored Dinkys I've bought.

Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>I have yet to finish a restoration but have bought a few in the meantime. They are generally very affordable, even downright bargains. I bought these two Studebakers as a pair for £10:</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #2

Expert Boarder
I like the way the grille and bumpers on this DeSoto have been sprayed rather than brush-painted - looks quite authentic:

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #3

Expert Boarder
This Rolls was nicely painted and has new grille/bumpers, well worth the £20 I paid:

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #4

Expert Boarder
I took the baseplates with their spun wheels from two other to-restore cars I have and gave them both whitewalls. I like the look:

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #5

Expert Boarder
I thought this was nicely done and reasonable at £20:

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #6

Expert Boarder
One of my favourites as a child. I've swapped the chassis on this one too to give it spun hubs - and it might even get whitewalls yet. (I wouldn't modify a nice original in that way but I enjoy the freedom a restoration allows.)

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #7

Expert Boarder

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #8

Platinum Boarder
They're all splendid.

And your pictures are very nice.

I love the Rolls-Royce, évidemment !
The following user(s) said Thank You: peekay

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks, 1 day ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Very nice work on all of them and being from the UK makes it cheap. Over here in Canada most of those would sell for much more as they are not plentiful for the restorer like in the UK or the EU. I have paid as much for good condition models and then had to pay that as well for shipping. Then I get to restore it. Not often these days you can get a good condition restoreable car for under $20.00 US and about that for shipping then you have to restore it. Buying parts can be expensive too.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks ago #10

Expert Boarder
Yes, US shipping prices have gone through the roof. $28 for two Dinkys to Switzerland - won't do that again.

This truck arrived yesterday. The maroon paint isn't as smooth as I'd like but a pretty nice model over all and for £9.90 what can you say?

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Looks good from here in Western Canada but I don't like those rivets. Pop rivets. I use SF rivets and they are much closer to original but not.
You can see the difference in the picture below compared to the rivets in yours. Lots of people use pop rivets thought.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks ago #12

Expert Boarder
Yes, I recently bought your type of rivets and they do look more authentic of course. But I have to say that, with restorations, total authenticity isn't such a big deal for me. I'm not a purist.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 2 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
I am not a purist also. I just like them to look as close to original as I can get but there are tell tails you should notice. My paint lines do not haze over into the other color as Dinky did. Their type of mass masking did not allow it so there is a mist or overlap on the paint. My rivets are SF. I hand detail and as you can see in the above photo sometimes I get paint (silver mostly) where it is not supposed to be. I reverence the front and rear bumpers in the photo above. There are other things too as I put my decal (Diecast Toyguy) inside each restore where if you look you will find it on most but not all. Open sports you have to take the car a part to find it as it is under the hood or front end of the body. My axle ends are peened by hand and not smooth like machine peened ends. Also any crimped axles also you can tell by looking. They end up too thin as I don't have the right tool for that. I have also taken to painting my base plates a Satin Black. You can also tell when I have replaced the suspension in cars like the Rolls Royce you show. The eyelet is larger than the tiny Dinky one. I think your Rolls Royce has replacement suspension if I am seeing right.
I don't want someone to try to sell my restorations as authentic Dinky Toys there for the differences are mostly on purpose.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 6 days ago #14

Expert Boarder
Yes, I agree with your philosophy: you're not trying to fool anyone.
The Rolls has a much softer suspension than an original so, although I hadn't noticed the rivet difference, I knew it must be a replacement.
I recently replaced the suspension on a Corgi AMC Marlin using guitar string wire - the plastic original had broken. Works great.

Re: Restored Dinkys I've bought. 1 week, 6 days ago #15

Expert Boarder
Another very cheap purchase but I quite like it. The white is hand painted but the Pink and silver appear to be original.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco
  • Page: