Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 1 day ago #16

Platinum Boarder
The hubs have been done in the flat deck grass green and I can reuse the original bolt to hold the flat deck to the chassis. Details and assembly next.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 1 day ago #17

Expert Boarder
Looking great! I envy your ability to get paint to go on smoothly, ie. without any orange peel.
What type of paint is this - acrylic, enamel, other?

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 1 day ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Mostly Alkyd which is an environmentally safe Enamel type paint. Goes on similar to Enamel or Acrylic but I don't like acrylic and it chips too easy and it stinks up the basement. I paint inside year round. I have exhaust fans that take it outside. Has worked well for me for almost 14 Years here now. I use the same primer.
The orange and green for this project is from Steve Flowers in the UK and is a cellulose based paint of some is his newer water based paint. I think I only have one color like that. Those I spray from my air brush. The primer and basic colors are all rattle cans.
Hope that makes sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peekay

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 1 day ago #19

Expert Boarder
Makes perfect sense and thank-you.
I've been spraying plastic models for decades with cans and my airbrush but will have to adjust my methods for Dinkys.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 1 day ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Depending on the paints you can still spray the same as you always have. You just have to try to match the original color is you want original looking toys. That is the hard part as the Royal Mail will no longer ship liquids of any type but perfume samples and other very small items. I am trying to get Fed Ex or another courier to bring them to me but SF does not seem to want to use them. I guess I will have to call England myself and set it up with courier and then place my order with SF and have the courier pick it up. I don't think Steve wants the hassle if a courier or the set up you have to go through to ship with them. Would cost me about $75.00 cdn for shipping alone. The paint is only about £2.80 each bottle.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks ago #21

Expert Boarder
Finding the right paint has become difficult in Switzerland too as the govt. gets serious about health risk and the environment (can't argue with that). Last month they banned Tamiya spray paints for eg.
I might try Humbrol enamels through my airbrush. With the right amount of thinner they lay down smoothly and have a Dinky-style gloss. As I've said, I won't be shooting for accurate colours (although I have mixed exact colours professionally in a past life.)

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 2 weeks ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Well, lately I have been having a time trying to find time to finish off this truck. I also have 100 series sport car racer drivers I am painting that need a second coat of flesh color. They are for my store.
Been fixing the house, again. This time gutters on the north side fell off but hung there all winter. Connected at both ends as the fascia, the board behind the gutter on the rafter ends, gave out.due to rusted out nails. Took 2 guys 3 hours to fix up right again and no new material was needed. That was nice and it all looks good now.

You can see the soffit, white stuff on the horizontal from gutter to house, has pulled out of the 'J' track it sits in. All good now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, lark6

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 2 weeks ago #23

Platinum Boarder
I will say that my Bar-B-Que is nice and clean again and ready for summer. Going to plant chives, radish and green onion in a planter on the deck. Tracy does not like any of that so it is all mine, Hehehehe!

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 5 days, 6 hours ago #24

Platinum Boarder
The first think I looked for was the "FODEN CRACKS". Now really, that is NOT the same Foden chasis. Stripping the paint did not make the cracks go away. I know better. In fact, I buy just the Fodens with the crack so that I can do my 6 wheel modification.
Haven't done much recent buying because of a house move we mad this last year. Thanks to my bride, my TOY ROOM is in very good order again, with few changes, 2 less display cases....
So JIM, man up. The stripped chassis is a different one. I will buy the broken one if you still have it. Mock

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 5 days, 6 hours ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Very nic, let's see oit finished.
THOSE CRACKS JUST DON'T DISSAPEAR.............
mOCK

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 5 days, 4 hours ago #26

Platinum Boarder
I had been looking for the folder that truck came from to no avail. I don't know what happened to it but you are correct, not the same chassis. I don't think anyone else mentioned that either so good for you. I was waiting for just that as I can't find where it came from and I don't have it anymore. It must have been a customer I did a restoration for but I have no record so I really have no idea where that picture came from and how it got in with my current build. It is almost finished by the way. Last of detail done today and almost ready to complete.
I have been working on the house, as you all can see from the above pictures. Garden is starting to get weedy so that comes before toys these day. Stay Tuned.
Welcome back Mock.
  • Page: