Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration

Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Another Foden, the 502 flat deck from my collection of Foden's that need restoring.</p>

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #2

Platinum Boarder
As it arrived.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Seems to be all there and no damage. Lets take a closer look, shall we?
It would seem that the truck is broken across the wheel wells and into the body behind the cab

I think we shall have to strip it and find out. Can you see what look like breaks in the Chassis at the low points of the fenders? They are right at the back of the cab.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Mock up of the load it will carry when finished.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #5

Platinum Boarder
You might also notice that the deck seems to be wavy when you view it from the sides. I have to address that too.
So the next step is to dismantle the truck.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #6

Platinum Boarder
All looks good. The tow hook is bent but that is easy to fix. No body damage and not deck damage. I don't know where the breaks in the chassis are now. Look for your self after stripping.

I also have the deck side shot to show the bend.

The second picture really shows the bend and you can see in the third picture the chassis is also bent.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #7

Platinum Boarder

And there you have the rest of the truck stripped of paint and ready for Primer. That is done and I put the first coats of the paints I am using on the truck today. Will match the colors it was originally. I have another coat of the chassis to do, specially the cab and grille area. Did not come out as nice as I want. Another coat will take care of it.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #8

Platinum Boarder
There is also a twist in the deck to take care of.

I am still wondering about the first pictures with the breaks showing. Is it an optical illusion? I don't know but they sure looked like breaks before I stripped it. They are not there now. A Quandary!!!

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #9

That is a nice looking truck. Now about the breakline: could it be the tension of the fitted deck that caused the breakline? After removing the deck, it came back to its original postion? Can't think of anything tbh.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 5 days ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I really could not tell you as there is not even a very small crack now. Strange as it sure looked broken in the first pictures.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 2 days ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Have you noticed the bosses for the posts for the chain truck on the underside. They are filled in. There are also holes in the headboard for the link that connects the chain to the headboard. There are also slots in the Chassis for the tankers.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 2 days ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Lets start with the straightening of the flat deck and back bone of the chassis. I heat them both up to about 200°F and let them sit like that for about half an hour. The toaster oven takes a bit of time to full heat up the castings. When hot I use my welders gloves and take out the flat deck and place it between to 1"X 1" pieces of wood about 6" long. I use my jewlers hammer and another piece of similar wood and place that along the length of the flat deck. I give it a wack or two and fit a straight edge along it. Not quite, put it back in the oven. I took three times slowly until I was satisfied. The same method was used on the chassis as the flat deck was heating up again. Don't wack too hard or too many times or you might go too far or worse, break the casting.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 2 days ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The look pretty straight now. Lets get on with the primer.
Chassis and flat deck in grey primer.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 2 days ago #14

Platinum Boarder
The flat deck is done in Grass Green. Three coats.

Re: Dinky 502 Foden Flat Deck with headboard Restoration 3 weeks, 2 days ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>The chassis is done in Steve Flowers match to the original orange. This took two coats and then a third on the cab and grille, tool/battery box edges and air/fuel tank edges on either side of the chassis rails. Not really sure what sort of box of tank they are.
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br /></p>
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Nobleco.
  • Page: