Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Foden Flatbed Restoration

Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>I started this project a number of years ago. At the time I acquired a Foden flatbed (another cheap auction find) that was in pretty bad shape.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was not sure if I would leave the tailboard off and just make it a flatbed transport, or replace the bed entirely.</p>
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by gcladd.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #2

Expert Boarder
<p>Upon looking at photos of the tail board (from other sites), and with down time during Covid-19, I realized the simplicity of duplicating the broken tailboard in a geometry that is very close to the original.
</p>
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by gcladd.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #3

Expert Boarder
The model was disassembled. The bed was filed smooth and cleaned up where the tailboard had broken off.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #4

Expert Boarder
A brass structural support from .020 brass sheet was soldered up with 1/32 brass pins that could be drilled into the Foden’s bed where the original had broken off. The brass plate was slit so that 1/32 brass rod could be soldered into the plate, and filed smooth to blend in.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #5

Expert Boarder
Tailboard was trial fit before starting to strip bed and clean-up metal work on the tailboard.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #6

Expert Boarder

Bed stripped and drilled out for brass pins to mount tailboard. JB Weld epoxy used to fillet joint on the inside and outside of the tailboard.
Fillet joints inside and out were blended into the bed and sanded smooth.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #7

Expert Boarder
020 Styrene sheet added to the outside of the tailboard after being etched to simulate the horizontal board pattern on the front board of the bed. Details were added using .015 thick styrene strip to simulate vertical boards on tailboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #8

Expert Boarder
First coat of white primer applied to the bed. Needed a bit more filing on the transition to properly blend into the bed. Second photo shows a clean transition.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #9

Expert Boarder
Truck body stripped sanded and primed with gray primer. The trailer hitch was polished and masked with a liquid masking compound so that it did not need to be removed.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #10

Expert Boarder
First colour coat added to the truck body. This blue was is an almost identical match to the original blue on this truck except it has a real nice metallic fleck in it. It is called Tekno Blue and it is an acrylic touch-up paint from Chrysler Mopar that I bought at a surplus store for $1.99 last year. I have used this colour in a prior restoration.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #11

Expert Boarder
After three light coats and a high gloss clear lacquer it has the appearance I want it to have. The metallic fleck in this paint really highlights the color.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #12

Expert Boarder
Dry fit of body and bed.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #13

Expert Boarder
The wheels were pretty battered on this Dinky so I attempted to strip and repaint the wheel hubs. Two axles were bent, so they were straightened and cleaned in household vinegar.

Dinky must have blue annodized their rims or something because they had to be delicately cleaned and buffed on my lathe. If the flaws in the rims were not so evident, I would have buffed and clear coated them.

I was not able to quite match the blue Dinky used but the colour coat on the rims look good.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 2 weeks ago #14

Expert Boarder
After several months on my bench in pieces, Good Friday and Easter Sunday were good days to finish paint details on the front and assemble the model.

The model was tire-less when I got it, but after much searching in my tire collection I found some that were salvaged from other vehicles and used.

Re: Foden Flatbed Restoration 1 week, 5 days ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Great work and a factory finish to this restoration
  • Page: