Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration

Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration 6 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Gold Boarder
<p>I recently picked up this Gama Mercedes 600 from an estate sale in the US state of South Carolina. Unlike the Corgi and Dinky 600s, this one is a short-wheelbase car as opposed to the long-wheelbase Pullman.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>It looks fairly playworn but no parts are missing so I'm going to give restoration a go.  I have no experience with the Gama brand so it will be unexplored territory for me.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The roof appears to be warped so making it level will present the first challenge.</p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration 6 months, 2 weeks ago #2

Gold Boarder
<p>It has an opening hood/bonnet and trunk/boot.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The base is held on by screws.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Diassembled and ready for assessment.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration 6 months, 2 weeks ago #3

That is a nice Mercedes. You can make a two-tone out of it because the windowunit is a separate casting. How are you going to tackle the roof problems?

Re: Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration 6 months, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Interesting to see another brand of model stripped down, the screw on bases always make the taking apart easier and save that "guilt" of drilling out an original feature.
Is the roof plastic, as a hairdryer sometimes works.

Re: Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration 6 months, 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
i will follow this with interest. I have no experience with Gama Models.

Re: Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration 1 week, 6 days ago #6

Gold Boarder
Hard to believe that it has been six months since I last posted. Unfortunately for the first time in memory I've been dealing with some health issues that have impacted my ability to enjoy my hobbies. (Fortunately, it's not COVID-19.)

With the help of some physical therapy, thankfully I've been able to get back into them over the past several weeks. I've repainted the 600 in its original black.

But what to do about that wavy plastic roof panel? I started by trying to sand the raised warped area flat but quickly realized that wouldn't prove successful. Instead I opted to cut the C-pillars off the roof panel, then cut a section of sheet styrene slightly larger than the original roof panel. I'll sand the sheet styrene to approximately the same shape as the original panel, glue it to the window frames, then attach the C-pillars and blend them in with liquid styrene filler.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration 1 week, 5 days ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Yes, time flies. I hope your getting better and that is not a huge deal.
The car looks great in Black and I think your idea on the roof will work. Just need a little patience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Gama Mercedes 600 Restoration 1 week, 3 days ago #8

That is a clever way of fixing the roof. Initially I thought the roof was all zamac, did not know it was plastic. That expaines also why it was damaged the way it was.
  • Page: