Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #16

Platinum Boarder
The truck came out pretty nice but is it too bright for the open truck?
It looks more like the color on the Mobilgas Foden Tanker

Next will be painting the trailer dolly. Here is how it is looking

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Nice job, i like the red color.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #18

The red is bright but shall really suit the combination. So go for it Jim!!

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, It does looks good with the 2 grey colors. I will keep it this way.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #20

Platinum Boarder
It looks like a fresh brand new kit waiting to be assembled.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Andy. Just have to paint the dolly wheels on the trailer and the grille details on the Foden truck then assembly can start. You have to watch it as the base is held in by the back axle running through the eyes on the frame of the Foden. If you forget to put the front axle and hubs in place first you risk chipping the paint on the fenders when peening the axles over. I do all that ahead of time and then it is just three axles to install. The box is the easiest part. Slip the tabs into the slots (like we used to do as kids with paper toys) and then put the bolt tire holder rim, lock washer and then the small nut on the rear to hold it in place. I usually put the tire on when I do that. One to make it much easier to put the tire on the rear spare holder and 2 makes it safer when you put the bolt in. If you slip with what ever is holding the nut, I use a socket driver, the tire will help it stop before it mars paint.
The final results are Coming Soon to a Screen near you.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Okay, I am finished this model this morning. Had to touch up the grille one more time I have used a Silver Metallic permanent ink pen on this truck and I think it worked out very well. I also finished the trailer to go with it, the Dinky 551 Trailer. I matches the box on the Foden. Here is the trailer.

First I taped a sandwich fold top baggie to the body of the trailer at front and back of the dolly. I then taped the left and right sides. All under the dolly and part way onto the circular ridge the dolly rides in. I then taped the left over pieces around the front and a good wrap of tape to hold it in place.

Here it is stripped of the baggie and masking tape. Three coats of this spray can gloss black before I was happy with it.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Then the assembly went well. I even put a 'T' on the rear of the trailer.

That pretty much finishes off the trailer.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #24

Platinum Boarder
The threading of the trailer tow bar was not hard at all. Flatten the thin end out and then squeeze the part together to get it out of one hole then just work it out the other by twisting and turning until it would move. Takes almost a minute to thread it in or out.
Now onto the truck. Last we looked at it it seemed ready for assembly.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #25

Platinum Boarder
So I detailed the grille and front bumper with the silver pen as I said earlier. Three coats before I was happy. Same for the bumper and the headlights. I did not paint the tow hooks on the trailer or the truck black but left them the body color this time. I may change my mind at a later date on that.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #26

Platinum Boarder
Above was after 2 coats of the metallic paint. Not quite done yet.
Here is the finished truck.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #27

Platinum Boarder
New spare tire holder as the original I could not get apart. Too rusted. I polished the axles and fit new tires all around. I even put the 20mph sign on the left rear fender.
Now here it is with the trailer attached, ready to roll into service.

First with out the canopy

Second with the canopy. Nice combo I think. What do you guys think? I also want to get a decal set for this long truck.

I hope you all enjoyed this project. Another for my collection.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I thought I would do a side by side of the two paints. Original on the left and mine on the right.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #29

Platinum Boarder
<p>I would have used grey tires on the truck and the trailer as that is what they came with but I don't have a dark enough grey tire at this time. Maybe Steve or Rob will get back to the proper darker grey they used to sell. I would rather the tires on the left for the grey in these tires.
</p>
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 4 weeks ago #30

What an outstanding combintion, I really like it. Using a silvert felt pen is an option I did not think about using. Which pen did you use Jim?