Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration

Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here is one I started just yesterday to fill in while the Studebaker tanker dries.</p>

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I also have a trailer and a canopy for it. This another free toy so probably came with the Studebaker Tanker as they are both from July 2011.
As received

Unfortunately I do not have any paint to match the box. It is supposed to be Fawn but I will use grey like the trailer, instead.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #3

Jim, that is a very good Foden. I had the fawn paint made for me in a rattle can I think.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Yes, great deal for it and there are no cracks of breaks behind the cab where the tend to break or anywhere else on the truck.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
While the Studebaker Tanker is almost ready for decals I thought I would post some more of this project. It is apart, stripped and blasted and paint is on the body and the box of the truck as well as the body of the trailer. Canopy is primed and the hubs, all 16 of them are painted as well.
Here we go. In pieces.

Then the box off the rear.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Now for the cleaning up of these parts. Axles are polished in my drill press and the hubs are on tooth picks drying in my over right now. The Chassis and box are stripped then blasted.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Then the bead blasting.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br /></p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Now some primer. It looks white but is light grey.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Then some Light Grey paint on the box.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Did I show the canopy as it arrived from SF? It has to a bit more rusty since I got it a few years ago now but it cleaned up nicely in the blast cabinet.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I can't forget about the hubs. They are all lined up for painting. Being Supertoy hubs the axle is much larger than the small tooth picks I use do I put some masking tape around the end and then push the hub on. Seems to work pretty good.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder
The great thing looking at a restoration is seeing life being put back into something , looking at those hubs on cocktail sticks says it all every piece taken apart and stripped ready for a re-make shows the thought and skill bringing these models back to life .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
I have seen to many poor over paints in my time restoring these wonderful toy. When I started I had a debate with my self as to what I was going to do and what I wanted as an end result. Attempts back in 2005 led me to the conclusion I had to take the toys completely apart to get what I wanted. Skirted fenders make it very hard if not impossible to replace a worn or missing tire. How do I paint the hubs and not the axle end or the base or what ever way the axles went through to the hubs. Hard to mask and took too much time and then the results were poor at best. Now I take them apart as far as I can. I always know if there are replacements for anything that may break or not be usable again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I have made some progress on this Foden. It is painted and just need detailing and assembly. The trailer still needs it's front dolly wheel carrier painted black, Here we go. First the canopy is now painted.

Re: Dinky 901 Foden Open Truck Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Now for the box.

Done in a darker grey than the canopy.