Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration

Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>The next project I told you about after the Rolls Royce in Black and White I just finished.</p>

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
In all it glory as I received it in 2011. It was given to me but for the life of me I can't remember who. Probably for some painting from one of my customers in Alberta, Canada. I did the Pallet-Jecta for him and a number of Guy Warrier's that were snow plows. Turned them into Flat decks etc. Here are the pics as arrived.

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Look at that tire on the right rear of the tanker. I is tapered or beveled to one side. You can see the wear in the last photo above. I have never seen that before. Looks like some turned it down with a file?
Anyway, I took it apart.

The next step is of course to take all that paint off. The outside did not too bad at all but the inside was hardly touched. Interesting as it is easier to bead blast the paint off the inside most of the time.

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Next is the sand blasting process in the garage, BRB!

Much better to paint on. Now for some primer.

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
The Tanker is painted Yellow and so are the hubs. I have detailed the tanker but the hubs need an hour or so more in my toaster oven.
Weirdest paint I have ever used. It seems to foam up when I spray it. First it comes out spotty like there are bits in the paint. Then it comes our well but foams on the toy but settles down to a nice finish that is too thin. 4 coat on the tanker and three coats on the hubs. Wow! After 3 coats it looked like this.

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
The base plate on my restorations does not often get shown. This time you have seen how rusty it was.
The first two pictures are after soaking in Vinegar over night and then washing it with warm to hot water using a wire brush.

The next two are after I take it to the wire wheel in my drill press. Conical brass brush.

Now it is ready for paint.

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Some stains, as you can see above, just won't come off. At least all the rust is gone and any left over paint bits.

Now for some paint. I have used gloss black for years but a couple years ago I decided to try out Matte Black. I really like it and so I have been using it ever since. You tell me if you like it compared to gloss or semi-gloss Paint.

Something for you to think about. Back when the rest is finished,

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #8

The yellow seems to have covered well. Still, yellow is a tricky color to paint.
The baseplat in matte black looks absolute fine to me.
When I restore a baseplate, I give it 1 coat of primer, 1 coat of matte black and finish it off with a clear varnish that is not too glossy.

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo, I am very happy with the matte black.
I have never primed my base plate but for the cast Corgi base plates. Those I do in light grey primer and then clear coat with gloss.
I have yet to see any evidence that Dinky used primer on their base plates. When I take the paint off with vinegar i can see the other side of the paint as it will come off in sheets sometimes. All just black paint so far.
I hope to finish this one off today. Touch up the details, assemble and then apply the decals.

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Details are painted and did not do the rear bumper this time as it is no supposed to be anything other than the body color. It has been assembled so here she is.

I ad this to two others I have. My original from the 1950's which I did in Red with French Esso winged decals and an original in very good condition that I got from a lot purchase years ago. I sold enough of that lot to keep quite a few for free. This is one and the Green Castrol Studebaker is the other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 2 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The Red French Esso

And the Green Castrol.

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #12

Fine looking trucks, and great work on them. Do you seal the decals with a clear cover?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 1 month, 1 week ago #13

Platinum Boarder
I have never clear coated my decals unless it was requested by a customer. None of my own are sprayed over with clear. Good quality decals applied correctly should not need a clear coat unless your going to be playing with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Nice work, especially on the base plate.
Did you make the decals?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 443 Studebaker Tanker National Benzole Restoration 4 weeks, 1 day ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks. I use a satin black paint for the base plates. I really like it.
For the decals on the National Benzole tanker they are from SF in England.
The red Esso Tanker with French Dinky decals were made my myself a long time ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, chaccamacca
  • Page: