Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier

Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I am going to show you the 40f/154 Hillman Minx. My Dad owned one about the same time I was born to the age of 3?</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Here are my standard 5 pictures of a car when I receive it. Sometimes it is only 3 though. This has been over painted by someone.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Don't know what the white stuff is but maybe paint or glue?
Anyway, lets take it apart.

Not much to this car when over and done.
Now lets strip the paint off.

Not too bad. It turns out this is a nice casting as you will see after the glass bead blasting.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I am still thinking of a polished collection of Dinky Toys. Wish I lived in England or Europe.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Enough wishing for what I can't have.
Now some primer and then the first coat of paint. I usually do at least 2 coats.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Masking the blue is next. Here you see the order I use to mask. The hard bits first.

Then the long body lines.

Then I finish off with Painters Blue tape, a type of masking tape.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Yes, What is the other color you ask. Remember these are kids pocket toys of the 1950 and 1960 so mass produced to appeal to children. Bright Colors and you see in a lot of the Dinky Toys Two Tone cars. Even the trucks can be very bright colored to attract the kids eye. Daddy, daddy, I want that, can you get that for me? Anyway here is the Deep India Red top color.

And some detailing.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Needs a bit of touch up and we are done.

Here it is.

This is for my second Pullman Car Transporter. the one with two tone cars that never made the Car Carrier set.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #9

Platinum Boarder
My order from Rob at Model Car Part arrived yesterday so I could finish off these and 2 more yet to come.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #10

Platinum Boarder
As I said when you painted the Jaguar , these are my football teams colours , a very neat paint job again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #11

Great job Jim, I really like the two-tones you produce.

Andy, let me guess: you're a Hammer fan ?

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I am , Routemaster born & bred , at the moment the Top Team in London.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Ah, your talking about our soccer or your Football. Did not know.

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #14

Platinum Boarder
football , I am 55 tomorrow and the year I was born the only Englishman to ever lift the World cup was England's Bobby Moore , the now Sir Geoff Hurst who scored the hattrick and Martin Peters who scored too all played for West Ham people we always joke that West Ham won the World Cup.
A great part of being a fan is that Bobby Moore lived in the same road as my Nan , Waverly Gardens Barking.

Back to to the diecast now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 40f/154 Hillman Minx Restoration for my Car Carrier 9 months, 1 week ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Well, have a very happy Birthday tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy66
  • Page: