Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #16

Platinum Boarder
So now, maybe I should show the car restoration. After all that is what this thread is all about.
After taking it apart I use my paint stripper and remove as much of the paint as I can.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #17

Platinum Boarder
A good run through the bead blaster always preps the surface nicely.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Oops, missed a bit of yellow here and there. Otherwise not bad.

Now the primer

Then maybe a first coat of paint. Primrose Yellow

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Next is masking off the bottom half.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Now it is sprayed Snow White and the masking has been stripped of. It came out good first time this time.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #21

Platinum Boarder
That is a hole in the casting on the right front fender on the chrome or body line. Dang, missed another imperfection

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #22

Platinum Boarder
From here it is pretty much just assembly. I had to heat up my soldering iron to install the roof rack .That goes in first. I just melt the ends that stick through on the inside just enough so they don't come out. I then glue the window unit in after putting one of my Diecast Toyguy decals on the inside of the roof. There for posterity or until someone else stripes it. LOL
I had already put the axles and hubs in and peened the ends so they are locked in. Suspension works great. I did the Roll Royce suspension, the one that dissolved in the vinegar, That came out really nice too. Show you later.
So then it was glue in the grille and install the interior. I still had the foam rubber that puts pressure on the interior against the base plate to hold it tightly inside. Then the tab on the back of the base plate goes in the slot and then down goes the base plate onto the nose of the car. The foam holds the base up off the chassis unlike a lot of models I have done. Glue and rivet in and then the Elastic Band around the car to hold it all in place while it set.
Enough of the story, here is the car.

I thought I forgot something, no base plate picture. I will get that in tomorrow.
Hope you enjoyed the walk thru

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #23

Superb work again Jim. Good solution for the bumper and the suspension. I learnd a lot reading this post
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Another factory restoration, those colours are great

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 2 months, 2 weeks ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. This one made me think a bit when it came to the bumper. Suspension I have done many times and it keeps working well.
I have a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith to do next.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 3 days, 3 hours ago #26

Platinum Boarder
IT LOOKS FACTORY TO ME
dinkyboy
  • Page: