Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration

Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 5 days, 17 hours ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Starting the finishing of this car but I have a question of fellow members.</p>
Last Edit: 5 days, 16 hours ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon 5 days, 17 hours ago #2

Platinum Boarder
The car in question. It has a suspension in it but it is completely gone. No trace what so ever. What I would like to know is if anyone has this car, done a restoration on it with pictures or has one apart they could take a picture of the inside of the car. I just don't know it is has a forked plate or a straight full width plate. The steering works in this car too.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon 5 days, 17 hours ago #3

Platinum Boarder
You can see how sagged the car is. No support for the axles and you can see the hole in the base in the last picture above.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon 5 days, 17 hours ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Here is it a part showing no suspension plate.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 5 days, 16 hours ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I think I have it figured out. Just have to put the axles, hubs and tires in to try it out.
First I gathered up what I needed for tools. Here are my straight cut Tin Snips and a piece of Wall or Roof Flashing, galvanized metal. Thick enough to do the job.

Above is the drawing or sketch I did of the plate I wanted. I measured from just in front of the front axle to just behind the rear axle on both cars I had to so. the other is the 150 Rolls Royce. Usually I have to replace a missing or rotted spring plate in them. This time I did it to myself with Vinegar. Dissolved most of the spring plate as it was so old, rusty and week. Oh Well, that is why I have the tools to do this.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 5 days, 16 hours ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Then I need a 7/64" drill bit and my Block of 3" steel. There is a slot we called a Key Way back when I was in a fabrication plant. This is the left over from a log deck used to pull or roll logs from one place in the lumber mill to another. I worked with them as a chief estimator for about 3 year then moved on into Carpentry. I was 29.
I also show the eyelet tools for this project. I have 2mm eyelets but would really like to fine a 1mm kit

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 5 days, 16 hours ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Now the finished spring plate for the Rolls Royce.
This has the eyelet sitting beside the 7/64" hole.</p>
Last Edit: 5 days, 16 hours ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 5 days, 16 hours ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Here is the finished Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon suspension spring plate replaced with the new one. From the inside and the outside.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 5 days, 15 hours ago #9

Platinum Boarder
You can see the serrated edge of the plate caused by the sheers cutting the tin. It takes a couple minutes of the hammer on the Shaft to get the plate flat again. It bends and twists as you cut it. That is due to the thickness. Guessing? 1/2mm?

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 5 days ago #10

Platinum Boarder
A nice and neat piece of engineering there , better than the original suspension
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 4 days, 23 hours ago #11

Platinum Boarder
It is stiffer and will take quite a lot to bend it.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 3 days, 16 hours ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Now that I have the suspension done the next thing was to clean and polish the window. I use Easy Off Oven Cleaner to get all the dirt, much, paint and what ever else is on there. A good wash and then a dry under my lights. Next is the Future Floor Wax and I pour it over inside and out. Small hole in the cap of the wax makes that part easy. This time I used my long nose Tweezers through the hole in the roof. Centered and balanced and as far on the tweezers as I could go. Into a second hands clamp and under the lights.
I had to make a rear bumper.

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 3 days, 16 hours ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The rear bumper starts out as a used rear bumper of of a Dinky 150 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith. I have a few. this one will work.

I cut it off the mount. Below are 2 different views

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 3 days, 16 hours ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I then set my little bench vice up and clamp the bumper in it. I then cut down the sides of the left over back piece to it will fit the rear bumper slots on the Rambler. Still looking for a replacement.

This is what I ended up with

Re: Dinky 193 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon Restoration 3 days, 16 hours ago #15

Platinum Boarder
From there it was into the plating shop for a dip.

And it is finished.
  • Page: