Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #16

Platinum Boarder
great break down and step by step. Thank you. Very true to the original colouring too. Nice work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Tick, I do my best to match the colors. With the SF paints I have been using for over 15 years now are a computer match to the original colors or as close as they can come today. Some there are shade differences but almost all are exact. Now, if I can get him to use Fed Ex I can get more. They will ship paints but it is not cheap but to put in an order of about 38 bottles it is less than $2.00 per bottle to ship them to me tracked and insured. I just have to get him to do it.
As you know, I like to do the step by step for those who have never done a restoration or are thinking it may be too hard. Many have told me they like the step by step I do so I just keep it up.
Snowing again here today but at least it is above -10°C. Last week it was *26°C for most nights and only up to about -10 or -12°C during the day. Getting lots of models down but waiting on my tires from Rob. Should have bought them from SF as his order just came in last Thursday.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #18

Platinum Boarder
not to bad in Ontario. Sunny and comfortable about -5 but no wind in my area. But we got a good dump last night so everyone who had to go to work was caught digging out of their driveways. arrrrggggggg !!!!!

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Tell me about it. Last week I shoveled the sidewalk and back deck twice one day, three times the next day and 3 more days of once or twice a day. We have over a foot of snow now even with the melt. We have barely had any wind here so the temps I said last message are static air temps. If the wind does come up it is -35 real quick and can get to -45 too. Too cold for me. Brrrrrrr
At least I only have one snow shovel width on either side of my pick up but cleaning it of puts more snow there for me to shovel. Just glad I have good Firestone winter tires, Ice radials.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #20

Platinum Boarder
we've had it easy this year. When it snows, its a lot but so far only a hand full of times. I'm lucky living on a street with a high school and public bus route. Because of that, the town plows the sidewalk pretty quick so I dont have to. The sidewalk runs along the side of my property (front to back) so there is about 180 feet to shovel. Never had to shovel it in 8 years living here

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #21

Platinum Boarder
That is nice, makes winter much easier and nicer. I have about 80 feet of sidewalk or so and then the forty of so feet around the truck. Plus I have a 400 sq ft deck I like to keep clean too. Never know when you want to have a deck party. Sun is shining today and it is snowing at the same time. Only in BC eh!

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Ya I clear my deck too. I BBQ all year round and our dog loves the winter snow so the deck provides an easy resting place when she's tired of the deep stuff and access to the BBQ. I also keep our trampoline clear. Ever shovelled 2 feet of fresh powder off a trampoline while trying to keep your balance????? HAHAHAHAH

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Can't say as I have ever done that. LOL sounds like a laugh though as long as it is not me.
Too cold for my grille. I tried a few years ago with an old grille and that did not work just like the new one. Just not enough heat to combat the cold I guess. Takes over twice as long to do any thing,
We do BBQ spring summer and fall though, every week, most weeks twice. Love BBQ

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #24

Platinum Boarder
spring summer and fall I can drain the propane tank while cooking no problem, but in the winter you need to keep the tank at least half full or there wont be enough pressure. I also keep my BBQ in a spot that is sheltered from the cold wind. Having two tanks is the best too. Always have a full one in reserve in case

I usually refill my tanks at Costco as they are by far the cheapest (in my neck of the woods anyways) but the one closest to me (5 minutes) charges you a flat rate regardless of how much gas is still in it when you bring it for a refill. Yet where my inlaws live about an hour away, the costco by them only charges for what you take.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #25

Platinum Boarder
we had it really bad in London last week at least 50 to 100mm of snow settled , lol , it was cold though

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #26

Platinum Boarder
robot-rebuilt

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Has someone hacked my account? I copied what I wrote and now it is only showing robot-rebuild, what gives.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I usually fill my propane up at the local Gas station half an hour away. $27.00 per 20 pound fill and they charge by the pound. Station in town takes the gasoline out of the wrecks they tow from the highway and the dump it into their gas tanks to sell. Can't seem to catch him. I stopped dealing with him years and years ago as I had a small chain saw that seized due to his gas. Even with the oil lubrication of the 2 stroke engine, it seized. Had to be his gas. I have heard other stories about Shady Shaw as he is called. He is even on out City council.
No snow today and only a dusting yesterday. Supposed to be warming up to about 4 or 5 + today. We shall see.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #29

Platinum Boarder
sounds like an outstanding human being

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 2 months, 3 weeks ago #30

Platinum Boarder
<p>Right you are. I had a Mazda (read Ford) pick up truck, 1/4 ton little truck. I took it to him in the first few years we were here in Greenwood and I took it there one day to have a block heater installed. I had the heater, the kind that you pull a frost plug out of the engine block and install the heater into that hole. He took the wrong frost plug out (supposed certified Mechanic) and then had to order another set of frost plugs as they do not come separately. That took about a week to arrive so that whole time we had no wheels, the Mazda being our only transportation. He then called me and told me it was done. I was right upset with him so there was no charge for the work due to his mistake and the long delay. They other mechanic in town I now deal with. He told me he could have had the frost plugs here in 2 days. Hmmmm. So to carry the story on.... about 4 months later we went on a fairly long drive and the engine seemed to be getting pretty hot and not running right. Coming home from Kelowna, a 2.5 hour drive took me about 4 hours as I had to stop every now and then and let the engine cool down. I took it to Dick, the other mechanic and he drove me home. Unlike the guy at the gas station. About 20 to 30 minutes later Dick was back saying I had better come back to his place. We drove back and he showed me that after checking the oil for water and pulling the spark plugs to check them condensation the engine coolant was only half full in the radiator. WHAT??? Shady Shaw had not put the original rad fluid back in the radiator nor had he put in new anti freeze. He just closed up the engine and gave it back to me. Fortunately, there was no damage that we could tell. I traded it in later that year after a trip to the USA for almost 4 weeks and over 7000 miles worth of driving. It worked find and did the job but we found it was too small a vehicle for us. I traded it on my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe which I had till this GMC I got in 2018 that I am now still driving. I am just glad Dick caught it in time for no damage. I have never been back to his shop or store again. Then he sold and I still did not go back there until I found out that the new owners were also the owners of the gas station in Grand Forks where I buy my BBQ Propane. So I go in from time to time but I don't buy gasoline (petrol) at either place. I deal with Petro-Can Life goes on and there are always surprises along the way.</p>
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Nobleco.