Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration

Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I finally have a model complete. About time. Darn Virus!</p>

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Here is it as received October 22, 2020 The jib was pretty bent up and it is missing the winder handle and spring.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
All the tires are rock hard and broke up when removed. Base is in good shape. Now lets take it apart.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Here is a closer look at the rear box and also the inside of the Cab/chassis.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
You can see that this casting has the notches for a winder handle. The chassis is not cut out for that purpose.
Now through the stripper, not a very good job this time. Some greens just don't want to come off. I also find it interesting that the inside of the cab looks hardly touched by the stripper yet it is the easiest part to clean with the bead blaster.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
From the poor stripping above to the glass bead cleaning in my garage blast cabinet.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
You can see a bit of green in the hard to reach places on the wrecker body.
And now for some primer, grey this time.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I must say that the bent jib came out very nicely.

Pictures 19, 20 and 21 show the cab in Russet tan paint.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Pictures 22, 23 and 24 show the rear box and the jib in Grass Green paint.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
In the top picture of post #9 you can see that two of the tabs that fix the jib to the box are not painted. I had to hold the jib somewhere for the painting process so what better place to easily attach the Gator clamps which also makes it easier to touch up later.

And now the final reveal. This one came out nice and it is number 368 in my Dinky and Corgi Restored collection.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at the project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
What you see above is the winder handle has a cap glued onto the end. This is they way SF supplies it. I also put the spring in upside down with the two tangs facing down. It was real hard to wind it so I took a closer look at my original wrecker I had back in the 1950's and noticed that the two tangs or arms were pointing up. This was after I attached the jib to the wrecker body of course. I could not notice it before, could I,,, NOOOO!
Out came one of my dental tools and I carefully pried the end of the spring up and out of the jib. I pulled out out with my fingers after that and then put it back in the correct way. Was a lot easier that I thought it would be and I did not have to take the box off the cab or the jib off the box. That made me happy. The tires are 17mm treaded tires I sell. The hook on the jib will turn if you spend a little time to clean out the hole in the weight and then carefully turn the hook in the weight. I used two sets of pliers. One to hold the weight and the other to turn the hook back and forth until it turned all the way around. Does take some time but it is well worth the effort. I then taped up the hook and sprayed the weight with Satin Black paint, the same as I used on the base plate. I used the detailing from Jacques DuJardins Encyclopedia and it looks like it was from the factory.
It will now sit along side my long loved and one of my most favorite Dinky Toys from my youth.
I do hope you enjoyed this presentation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, lark6

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Again, first class work , really nice to look at , I will look out for one of these to restore as it is such a nice model & a factory job done to this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Andy, it is one of my favorites from when I was I kid. Now at 70 I can really appreciate this toy unlike I did back in the 1950's it was just a great toy back then. Now I look at the engineering and the way it is put together and it is fantastic. Even for a kids toy they took their time and care with this Great truck.

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #14

You did very well on this nice truck and it really looks factory fresh.Seeing the pictures after beadblasting, i think the casting has much flash due to worn out dies. After you painted it, it is that obvious. Superb resto Jim!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 25x/430 Commer Wrecker Restoration 5 months, 2 weeks ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>I like to leave that flash on the vehicles. It helps date the truck from early (no flash) to later in the process when there is more flash in some places My original shows that flash on the fenders as a body mold line so it must have work with many castings to get it like that. I got my original sometime between 1955 and 1960. Take a look at another group and you will see the fender line or mold mark on the lowest one, White with Blue Box.
</p>
<p>Credit for the photo goes to Jacques DuJardins Encyclopedia.</p>
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL