Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3

Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #1

Gold Boarder
<p>From my other Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 thread, I mentioned that I was going to restore the Tuborg Beer truck version of the LP322. Here's the truck disassembled.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Having been unsuccessful at locating replacement roller blinds, and being dissatisfied with the options available to me, I've decided to make this one a Code 3. I'm going to set aside the beer truck-specific parts such that a future restorer might be able to take it back to original.</p>
<p>My next step, then, was to to fill in the holes for the Tuborg "crown" in the cab roof. I did this from the outside using JB Weld, again such that a future restorer could drill out what I filled from inside the cab and reinstall the "crown." When Tekno punched the holes in the cab roof for the "crown" it caused a depression between the holes. A little putty came in handy to level out the depression.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 9 months, 3 weeks ago by lark6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #2

Gold Boarder
<p>Here's the cab and chassis in white primer, wearing a new set of tires courtesy Teknosamleren.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Now comes the greater challenge: scratch-building a body. This will be something a bit more complex than the simple wooden block for a moving van body.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
With the quality of your work, no one will ever want to take it back to original! Could you fill in the open panels on the original body, or somehow use it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
This is a good thread. I will watch this with interest. Too bad about the roller curtain for the rear box. Have you thought of turning it into a curtain side truck. some wire or even string, a nice piece of thicker slightly stiffish material with some small grommets pressed in for the wire to run through. That way you can make it look like a real curtain side truck. Something like below.

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
You could then maybe put a Tuborg beer logo on the side.

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #6

Gold Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
This is a good thread. I will watch this with interest. Too bad about the roller curtain for the rear box. Have you thought of turning it into a curtain side truck. some wire or even string, a nice piece of thicker slightly stiffish material with some small grommets pressed in for the wire to run through. That way you can make it look like a real curtain side truck. Something like below.
</p>
<p>That's not a bad idea! I seem to recall from my youth building military models that canvas can be replicated using facial tissue and white glue diluted with water. It may be worth a try.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I guess that is almost like a paper mache would be. I would think it is worth a try. The diluted white glue water mix must make it a bit more flexible than paper mache.

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
looking forwards to this one , it is a nice model

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 5 months, 1 week ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Any progress? - looking forward to what you do with the backend!

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 5 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
Very little, I'm sorry to say. Some measuring and cutting but nothing to show for it.

More progress on my Tekno 220S ambulance and Gama 600, which posts I need to update.

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I know what you mean. Too hot lately with record temperatures. Been over 37C since last week and the last 2 days and now today are 40C Going up to 43C the rest of the week until we get a reprieve on the weekend when it is supposed to be back down to 36C
I have a Foden to finish up, just put back together really but can't get motivated. Been outside most of the spring and summer until lately. Just too hot for me anymore.
I am also looking forward to seeing how your doing but no rush.

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322 Code 3 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
No prob, Lark6. Just making sure you inform us when you make some progress. No hurry at all. Did not want you to forget us!
  • Page: