Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3

Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 3 years, 2 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
<p>I've recently begun work on restoring another of the Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S ambulances in my collection. This one is going to remain an ambulance. I started with the Falck version with the dome light rather than the flag atop. Here it is in gray primer with the base painted in white primer.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>You can see that I removed the rear seat/cargo area insert I made for my first 220S Code 3 to use as a template for another. More to follow...</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 3 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Following with interest

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 3 years, 2 months ago #3

A promising start Lark6! Keep us updated please

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 3 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
It is good to see the workings of these models and how different manufacturers did things like the suspension , this looks really sturdy and hard to break.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 3 years, 2 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I was going to say the same thing. It's fun to see how the Tekno designers came up with the suspension on these big Mercedes. Thanks for the photos! Actually, the 700 and 900 series from Tekno were actually sub-contracted out to H. Langes Legetøj, so their designers did these Mercedes ambulances!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 3 years, 1 month ago #6

Gold Boarder
<p>The next step in my plan involved the creation of a latex mold to make resin casts of the 220S bench seat. This could also prove useful for other restorations or Code 3s.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I reinforced the latex mold with bandage gauze to prevent it from becoming overly flexible.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by lark6.

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 3 years, 1 month ago #7

Gold Boarder
<p>From left to right: the seat that was used to form the mold, the clear resin re-pop of the seat, and a seat from another 220S to be restored or used for parts.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 3 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Success, great job.

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 2 years, 9 months ago #9

Gold Boarder
<p>A long time between updates, but here goes.</p>
<p>Similarly to how I painted the rear seat/cargo area insert for my first 220S in a faux wood grain finish, I did the same in shades of blue, white and gray in an attempt to create a faux linoleum finish.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>An online search led me to a site that 3D prints custom parts for police and emergency vehicles. There I bought a stretcher and trimmed it to fit the insert.  It looks a little too modern so I may want to modify it to look more period appropriate.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Here's a mockup of what I'd like to do with the cargo area, using the insert, the stretcher and half of the seat i cast in resin.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by lark6.

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 2 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Great work! To show off that new interior, you'll need to keep the windows clear, not opaque like the original Teknos!

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 2 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Nice to see this work on a good idea. I am sure it will look great when done.

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 2 years, 9 months ago #12

great stuff, if you put handles on the stretcher, it will look more of the era.

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 2 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
It already has long side rails which makes sense to me. Keep the patient from falling off. Unlike the stretcher cart above.

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 2 years, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
You could cut the ends off.
I look at the nurses and I assume the doctor and the stretcher in from of them and am reminded of an early bob sled. Foot rest and all at the end of the bed and handles to hold on to. LOL

Re: Another Tekno Mercedes-Benz 220S Code 3 2 years, 9 months ago #15

Gold Boarder
<p>karls wrote:
Great work! To show off that new interior, you'll need to keep the windows clear, not opaque like the original Teknos!
</p>
<p>And I shall! Teknosamleren sells reproduction clear windows. Unfortunately they are a bit too thick and will not seat on the notched edge of the seats. I bought a spare which I'm trimming with a Dremel to determine just how much plastic I will have to trim away.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>As for the stretcher, I've modified it (actually another spare) with sheet styrene to make the mattress less anatomically conforming. I used Mr. Surfacer 1200, a styrene filler, to fill the gaps between the sheet styrene and the stretcher body itself.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by lark6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL