Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer

Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>I don’t have many Lesney Super Kings in my collection, but I periodically find these Ford LTS Tractors without a proper trailer. This project is based on two separate tractor and trailer halves brought together to make a set similar to what Lesney would have produced in the Super King Line in 1975. The Ford LTS Tractor in Shell Oil configuration combined with a Tarmac dump hauler both coming from thrift store finds.</p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by gcladd.

Re: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #2

Expert Boarder
The Shell tractor I have had for a number of years and it was in not in great condition. I would have restored it in the Shell configuration if a Shell tanker trailer passed my way. I do not have a photo as received because it had two broken suspension clips and I took it apart as soon as I got it.

Re: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #3

Expert Boarder
I found a Tarmac dump trailer in good condition at a thrift store with a few scratches on the dump box, no rear dump gate and no hydraulic cylinder on the trailer chassis.

After stripping and priming all parts, I made a new dump gate for the box using .030 styrene sheet stock and painted it black.

Re: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #4

Expert Boarder
The dump box and it’s parts were striped and repainted in the original Tarmac colours. Because of the metal brace across the box, mounting the dump gate for a perfect ft was done with .040” brass rod glued to the gate and capped on the box hinge hole with 3/32 diameter acrylic tube.

The only unfortunate part about this arrangement is that the dump gate cannot be removed without breaking the hinge mechanism and the gate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #5

Expert Boarder
I have yet to find a replacement for the hydraulic cylinder on the Tarmac trailer. I have several King Size Farm Trailers in my parts box (I always find these with missing wheels and hitches), but the cylinder spacing is wider on this model

I also found a nice Dump Truck in a box of Majorettes I have, with a cylinder that is identical to the cylinder on the Tarmac trailer (who copied who). I had no desire to part out the Majorette because of it’s nice condition. This model is destined for a new life on Ebay or Kijiji or for a new home in my city when they let us do the yard sale thing again next summer.

Re: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #6

Expert Boarder
The tractor was painted to match the red chassis on the trailer and the aluminum paint on the dump box. I was debating whether to do the tractor’s chassis silver and the cab red, but I opted to keep this model to the original Tarmac colours this vehicle would have been painted by Lesney. The operator’s compartment and exhausts were repainted chrome. I like to use Krylon premium Original Chrome for chrome details on models.

The assembled tractor and trailer without Tarmac decals it is not looking to bad.

Re: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #7

Expert Boarder
Maybe I will get creative some day and see if I can machine my own hydraulic cylinders for this model, but for now it is good enough to add to my collection.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL, lark6

Re: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Nice work and too bad about the cylinders. Keep looking in thrift stores, specially at the junk boxes. You just never know. I always carry a small tape measure just in case I find something I might need. That way you could measure the width and length of the cylinder assembly you want on a piece of paper and put it in your wallet for reference. You just never know....
I like the colors as they go well together. I am not into the Super Kings but his is a nice looking truck you have brought back to life. This will be a nice addition to your collection.

Re: Super Kings Ford LTS with Tarmac Trailer 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9

Thanks for showing your skills! the truck and trailer are beautiful
  • Page: