1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days

1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>This is just an overview of some of the small scale Lesneys that I worked on the past couple of months during the Covid stay at home in your “family bubble” days. I have some larger 1/43 Lesneys and Dinkys that I have also been working on and will post later.</p>
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by gcladd.

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #2

Expert Boarder
<p>The first is a Superfast #35 Vantastic that was a well played with duplicate of one in my Superfast collection.
</p>
<p>This one is definitely in need of a restoration. It was in a pretty ratty state when I got it, but after a bit of work it turned out to be a pretty decent looking model.
</p>
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by gcladd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #3

Expert Boarder
<p>I have gotten quite a bit of use from this can of Excel Farm Implements “Case Red” that I originally bought as a match to restore a Lesney Hatra King Size Excavator a couple of years ago. This colour coat applied over white primer dries to a lighter shade than it did on the Hatra when I applied it over a gray primer coat. I have also gotten a completely different shade of orange with this colour over red oxide primer, so experimenting always pays off.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #4

Expert Boarder
<p>A comparison of the restored Vantastic behind the original in my Lesney Superfast collection. This one is starting to become a favourite in my collection, based on the way it turned out and the simplicity of the work done. It looks cool painted Case Red.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #5

Expert Boarder
<p>Another Superfast that I found simple to do but challenging because of the metallic finish (which I have not had a lot of success with) was the No 59, Porsche 928.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>This one was not in the greatest shape. The operating doors on this model were annoying because they kept slipping inside the door opening. Taking it apart to repair this problem was worth the trouble of the restoration.</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #6

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Krylon Gold doesn’t look to shabby on this model.  It was left to dry for about a week, because I always find that when using metallic paints, finger marks always like to show up during assembly.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #7

Expert Boarder
<p>The Superfast No 15 Fork Lift, another that I have a duplicate, was redone because I didn’t like the original orange colour and a previous owner went crazy with a paint brush and some yellow model paint that I couldn’t clean off.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #8

Expert Boarder
<p>This is an original Lesney 1-75 Series No. 54 Cadillac Ambulance. Again this is a duplicated of one in my collection, but this one had a broken front window strut and excessive paint wear. It’s nice to see that someone else other than myself actually played with their toys when they were a kid.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #9

Expert Boarder
<p>The model was stripped and the strut was repaired with a short length of 20 Ga copper wire. The strut was carefully glued with JB Weld Epoxy, and cleaned up with a file after a couple of days drying time.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #10

Expert Boarder
<p>I primed this model with several light coat of Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer. I like the Tamiya primer because it never hides some of the finer details on some of these small 1/64 die casts.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>After priming, I discovered I was out of Tamiya White, so I decided to use a technique I often apply on models painted with flat colours by applying a lacquer clear coat directly over the white primer.</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #11

Expert Boarder
<p>The finished model turned out pretty good. The strut repair is still visible, but is saves a nice Lesney that could have been a victim to a landfill site after the previous owner's basement cleanout.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I was cautious not to file away to much of the JB Weld on the transition into the body, because the first time I cleaned the joint on this model, the repair broke. It was a delicate repair to be stuck having to do a third time.</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #12

Expert Boarder
<p>The Cadillac ambulance from my Lesney collection with the repaired Cadillac ambulance. I will have to get around to making some decals for some of these repairs, restorations and code 3s.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Some very nice work and you patience paid off. That ambulance is really nice.
I see you found the Quick Reply button. Takes the HTML out of the write up.
For Postimage use the third from the bottom, Hot Link for Forums. That will give us a full size picture to see. Loads just as fast as the thumbnails and we don't have to click on it to see a larger version.
I have highlighted it in the picture below.

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #14

Expert Boarder
<p>Jim:</p>
<p>I revised the post a few minutes ago without any problems. In my browser, the link you were talking about (hotlink for forums) is actually the 2nd link from the bottom. I was selecting the wrong postimage link... darn Microsoft Edge</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also noted that if I use Firefox, posts can be edited fast and easy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for all your help Jim.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Greg</p>

Re: 1/64 Lesney restos during Covid 19 days 1 week, 4 days ago #15

Platinum Boarder
The HTML comes back when you edit. I try hard not to but sometimes.....
  • Page: