On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 2 days, 20 hours ago #16

Another project just finished is this conversion of 6 Atlas Dinky Toys 2CV Van into the Philips livery. Now at first glance, it looks a very straightforward job. In fact, it isn't.
Masking large parts of the body resulted in a silver colored box. Hubs painted red and then came the challenching bit: appying the decals
Usually, decals are easy to apply. If the body is flat, then it is no problem at all. But the panels of the box aren't flat at all, they are ribbed. The first attempts were a disaster, the decals did not stick and fell off. It took me a few headaches to finding the right procedure. I shall share it with you all
First I applied the decal as usual, by soaking it in lukewarm water and sliding it off the backing paper onto the box. I then carefuly removed the surplus water with a tissue, minding that the decal stayed in place. After that I applied Revell's Decal Soft. This helps to making the decal soft to press the decals into the ribs of the box. Again, surplus liquid was removed and I let it dry for about 10 minutes. Previous attempts failed, because the decal would not stick....... Finally I found the solution: the decals were covered with Revell clear aitbrush varnish, applied with a brush. And this is the result:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 2 days, 19 hours ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Very nicely done and I was thinking that the decalling might be a challenge for you. You have done what I think I would have done but I use Microscale Industries Micro Set Decal softening solution. I am sure it is the same or at least similar to your Revell's Decal Soft.
Again, excellent workmanship and great write up. Thanks for showing these one of a kind trucks.

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 2 days, 2 hours ago #18

Gold Boarder
Very well done Theo,

In the past (2014) I made one for myself and one for a friend and I had the same trouble with the decals.
Therefore I cut them in two pieces just below the PHILIPS text (please see the picture) so you can apply them one by one.
They are much easier to handle this way and because they are smaller you can get them better in the ribbed surface. .
I also noticed a difference.
I had old transfers and newer examples.
On the old transfers the PHILIPS characters and “stars”on the doors are white and on the newer ones they are transparant so they turn out yellow when applied.

Best Regards – Wolter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 2 days, 2 hours ago #19

Gold Boarder
<p>Somehow my message appeared double in this topic.</p>
<p>So I edited one to remove the text and the picture.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Best Regards – Wolter.</p>
Last Edit: 1 day, 23 hours ago by Krul.

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 1 day, 20 hours ago #20

Platinum Boarder
I do know that printing white is not done by everyone unless you do it professionally then there is no excuse for leaving the stars clear. Interesting. Do you remember who you got those decals from?

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 1 day, 19 hours ago #21

Platinum Boarder
They look factory great work well done
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 1 day, 3 hours ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I like it, well done.
Are the decals bigger than when you have a decal for a flat surface?

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 1 day, 1 hour ago #23

Gold Boarder
Hi Jim,

Mostly I order parts at MK-models so I guess I got he transfers from Rob.

Best Regards - Wolter.

By the way I saw on internet that DAN-toys supplies a new Philips 2CV as well.

Re: On RoutemasterNL's Bench November 2020 20 hours, 44 minutes ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Krul. Not sure if you know but Rob van den Bovenkamp IS Model Car Parts or MK models. He gets most of his parts and decals from Steve Flowers in England I have been dealing with both for over 14 years now. Rob has harder to find parts for French Dinky and others so you have to look at his if Steve does not have what your looking for. Rob also makes some of his own decals so not sure about these but his Red Crossed are the same as Steve's but I just bought Dinky Service decals from him that have thin black lines which are different than the standard ones.
  • Page: