Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck

Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 2 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>As I mentioned in Terrytoo's "Latest" thread, I bought one of those reproduction Dinky France Studebaker M kits from modelcars.nl at the end of 2018.It's the Stake Truck and I have a plan for a very mild customization of it.</p>
<p>Let's get started. Here are the parts as received. You'll notice a lot of imperfections in the white metal casting, especially on one of the slats in the rear corner. I'll be going after those with JB Weld and putty.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here are the castings after some filling in and a spit coat of white automotive primer. You can see where I'd been sanding.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>After a second coat of primer, it's time to mask off the stake body.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I did not know that these existed. You say from Modelcarparts, I will have to look at them again.
Looking good and these kits vehicles I have had from other vendors. They always need sanding and or filing before primer and paint. Looking forward to seeing this one as I like the body style of the old Studebakers from the 40's and 50's. This is a 1947 M5 Truck and here is the original. You don't see many with Chrome grilles like the Atlas is but there are a few. This one is nice in Green over Black

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Or from an ad.

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 2 months ago #4

Expert Boarder
Color coat, a dark blue for the body and satin black for the base plate.

The stake body, unmasked. Some touch-ups will be in order.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 2 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I like the color and the stake box came out really nice. This will look great when fully assembled.
What color are you going to paint the hubs? White would look good.

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 1 month, 3 weeks ago #6

Expert Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
I like the color and the stake box came out really nice. This will look great when fully assembled. What color are you going to paint the hubs? White would look good.
</p>
<p>Undecided as of yet. Probably not red.</p>
<p>I proceeded to paint the "wooden" part of the stake body a light tan, then practiced my old woodgrain weathering technique by dry brushing successive layers of red, brown, black and gray over the tan base. I followed that up with a flat clearcoat.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I was reasonably satisfied with the results until I realized that a truck with shiny paint wouldn't likely have a weathered bed. Oh well. Maybe I'll strip the bed and repaint it to look like new in the future, but for now I will press on regardless.</p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by lark6.

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 1 month, 3 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Your weathering looks good. Maybe you should weather the truck too with some rusty brown on the fenders and cab door bottoms? Then use your clear flat coat on it.

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 4 weeks, 1 day ago #8

Expert Boarder
<p>I ended up painting the wheels a lighter shade of blue.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Once I screwed the bed to the frame, I tried to camouflage the screw by painting and "weathering" it similar to the rest of the bed.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 4 weeks, 1 day ago #9

it looks very nice. I like the way the brown paint resembles the wooden planks!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 4 weeks, 1 day ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Nicely done and I like the lighter blue hubs, they look great with the darker blue main body paint, Nice job on the attachment screw too. Looks like it belongs now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 4 weeks, 1 day ago #11

Expert Boarder
<p>Thank you. There is precedent for this color scheme on Studebaker M trucks.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Repro Dinky France Studebaker M Stake Truck 4 weeks, 1 day ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I can see the blue peeking out from around all that chrome. It is a nice combo, as I said.
  • Page: