Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Manoil 720 restoration

Manoil 720 restoration 3 months, 1 week ago #1

<p>I received an email from an unkown collector who asked me if I could restore a Manoil 720 Buick. Never heared of the brand, so after I saw his photos, I decided to give it a go. First I did some research on the brand Manoil.. HobbyDB writes:</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Manoil was a North American metal and plastic toy company that began toy production in 1934 or 1935, and closed in 1959. The company was owned by two brothers, Maurice and Jack Manoil, who employed Walter Baetz to design everything.</span></p>
<p style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-variant-east-asian: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 14px; line-height: inherit; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline;">Known for their toy soldiers, Manoil also manufactured vehicles and civilian figures. Production was cut during WWII due to metal rationing but Manoil resumed production after the war was over. Sales faltered when plastics took over the market and the company went out of business.</p>

Re: Manoil 720 restoration 3 months, 1 week ago #2

So here is the car as received. AS you can see, it is a very simple design and there is not much going on. No base, just 4 axle posts and rubber wheels that slide over an axle. The newly applies paint was waterbased and came off very quickly. I decided to give it a thinner bath too, just to make sure all left over original red paint was gone.

Re: Manoil 720 restoration 3 months, 1 week ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I have not seen this model before , it shows how Tudor Rose & Hong Kong manufactures got the idea with the poly plastic cars they made.

Re: Manoil 720 restoration 3 months, 1 week ago #4

So the paint came off very easily.

After cleaning and polishing, the body looked like this

Close inspection showed that the casting was far from flawless. Some spots appeared on the roof and the front fender that I had to get rid of. A file helped out and the areas were better after treatment, ready for the primer

Re: Manoil 720 restoration 3 months, 1 week ago #5

primer applied and the first coat of cream followed

restaurants near carolina beach

Re: Manoil 720 restoration 3 months, 1 week ago #6

Masked the car because the customer wanted the roof in a darker shade of red

restaurants on sawmill rd

It turned good, just a few touch-ups needed

seafood buffet carolina beach north carolina
[url=https://thesawmillgrill.com/dinner]/url]

Re: Manoil 720 restoration 3 months, 1 week ago #7

Next step will be the detailing which will consume a lot of paint But that is for another time....

Re: Manoil 720 restoration 3 months, 1 week ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Good job on the filing and the paint scheme looks good on this wagon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL
  • Page: