Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super

Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Might have told you a while ago when I was doing those military models, I had this one in my cabinet, original but played with. It is the only army model in my collection that needed restoring, so here we go.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 3 weeks ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>This is one of the few models which originally has FOUR figures inside. I wonder who came up with that idea. Ok, you can see there are four, only just though. But why four?</p>
<p>Anyway, I opened it up.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>The guys are connected as a pair, and the front pair has a driver with his arms pointing to the front, and the other one with arms folded. To my surprise the pair in the back seats are the same, so one is the driver. This is not visable from the outside looking in, but still, it is awkward.</p>
<p>I thought it would be an easy resto, but even I (........) have faillures.</p>
<p>:et me explain. I sandblasted the car, to find the old paint did not come off as easy as usual. Then I primered the model no problem. Then I found there was still enough paint in the first can with army paint, so I decided to empty that one first before going over to the  new one.</p>
<p>I saw certain parts did not 'catch' the paint very well......so I applied a second layer........to find the paint had gone to thick and it was giving a reaction with certain parts, especially on the left side as you can see.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>A bad result.......</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>So I decided to scrape off the paint........to find there was a sort of factory silver layer still on the model. I used an old screwdriver to go through the layer, and then took the most rough sandpaper I have!</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>After that I used fine sandpaper, water proof.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>No picture of that result.....probably becasue I was doing several models simultaniously.</p>
<p>Anyway, an new antenna glued in. I only used one pair of guys this time. A small part of the glazing holds the antenna in place. No idea what the extra hole in the glazing is for.</p>
<p>
upload pics free</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here the final result. I made new stickers and as I still do not have an answer to the five-point star question, I guess this is ok.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
how to fix bloated stomach</p>
<p>
what do half moon betta fish eat</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Too bad about the paint going lumpy. You can see it on my end. I have had similar problems from old cans of paint. I guess they just get old and start drying out inside the can. Nice fix but that is a lot of work. I have had to do that on a Cadillac by Dinky when I put the car in vinegar over night. What a mess that was, all pitted etc.
I don't think the star is a problem, just do all your military the same. It looks much better now that it is restored but it seems the paint looks thick to me. Maybe that is due to all the sanding and corners got rounded?
The extra hole is probably from the casting process. Maybe it has something to do with the flow of the plastic in the mold? Maybe there is a model with a larger hole needed, This is an Oldsmobile could the casting and window be from the Man From UNCLE car? Nope I just checked the one I did and it has only one hole due to the interior but the hole is to the front for the periscope, not in the back like yours.

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #10

That looks good. Did you glue the antenna as well as the window in that corner? Jim is right, if paint is old, it can go lumpy sometimes. At the bottom of all the spraycans I use, there is an expire date. That isn't always a guarantee that the paint is good to be used after that date.
BTW: the stars you place on the hood and bonnet are pointed towards te window.And on the doors they point upwards. To me that looks the best, but I am not an expert on militaria. Perhaps Gunner Jim knows?

Re: Corgi nr 358 Military Oldmobile Super 3 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks guys. The UNCLE window is blue coloured and has bullet holes in the front. No clue why that hole is there. The only thing I can think of is to save material.</p>
<p>I bought two cans of the same army paint a few years ago, and you have seen how many models I did with only one can: a lot ! So after that faillure I started using the second can. One layer is actually enough, but you have to be careful: cartain places seem to be wobbly after the first layer, and you want to give it a second layer. I did NOT, because after a few minutes the wobbles are gone and the layer is perfect.</p>
<p>Yes, the antenna got some extra glue, but it was actually not needed, because it is held in place by the window.</p>
<p>As you can see by the original pictures there is only one star on the roof. I placed one on the hood and on the trunk, ond not on the roof.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL
  • Page: