Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter

Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #2

Expert Boarder
<p>You can see the short story here with loads of photos</p>
<p><a href="dinkycorgi.com/pagedk/restorations.php" style="font-size: 12.16px;">dinkycorgi.com/pagedk/restorations.php</a></p>
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by mrjeff.

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
The link takes me to your site but not to this Code 3 car carrier. I also typed in Dinky and Leyland car transporter and did not get this one but lots of other restorations.
The pictures above are great and it looks like a very good job of it too. I would not have used Philip's head screws but that is me. I have duplicates of the original rivet but the heads are too large so I filed them down. Later I used SF Large rivets and filed them done too. Both were done on my bench drill press and a points file from the 1950's that was my Grandfathers.

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #4

Expert Boarder
Sorry about the bad link

dinkycorgi.com/pagedk/restorations.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #5

Nice transformation Mr. Jeff. And a great color combination too. The link to your site reveals some great transformations. Thanks!

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #6

Expert Boarder
Now with decals (disappointingly poor), I made them myself but those on transparent paper were too transparent and I could not get a good color match on white paper, I could have done better.

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #7

Expert Boarder
A few notes:

This was a real challenge and I was more concentrating on method rather than finish. I am currently in an apartment, so any hammering was out of the question. This was good news as the axles were made out of two finishing nails squeezed into a connecting roll pin. Picture to follow. This means I can take it apart and start again.

Thanks for your comments

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #8

Expert Boarder

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have seen that before but not for toys. Nice application. What kind of decal paper are you using? Just wondering. I get mine from Florida. Bell Decals and they make white and clear paper. Works really well with a bubble jet printer and I sell lots of my home made decals. Herbie the Love Bug is one of the best sellers I have in my home made. Here are a couple I have done for car carriers.
And my 1:43 and 1:16/18 Herbie decals.
I use a Canon iP 1220 printer</p>
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Your here in BC so if you want one, let me know by PM and I would be glad to send you one. No charge

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #11

Expert Boarder
That is very generous of you. I guess I would not be wrong in assuming, like myself, you take pride in doing it yourself. I am going to try to fix this problem. I don't know if it is the printer, the paper, or software settings.

Paper: Hayes
Printer: Epson ET2650
Software: Photoshop

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Mr Jeff. I do try to do the best I can and I am my own worst critic. If I am not happy then it is tossed and I start over or fix what when wrong. Like I said I use a Canon printer. I have had a few Epson printers but for the last few years they do not print the 3" x 5" file cards I use to protect decals and also for my propaganda for eBay customers. I tell all of them about the Best Diecast forum on the internet and encourage them to come partake of the fun. There are a few members here because of those cards.
I think you need a color printer and its proper program that is compatible with Photo Shop. I don't use it, tried and failed. Took a Video Professor CD offer years ago and bought the course. It did not work well for me and I stopped. I still have the disks but the company does not exist any more, I have been using Coral Draw for a couple decades now. I started on Corel 8 and have currently use Corel Draw 11. I have problems with the compatibility now with Windows 10. Seems they do not work well together and I have lost some Airplane decals I used to make and some others decals do not let you edit them or they crash the program. I am hesitant to buy a newer copy as the program has changed so much in the last 10 years. What I am looking for is someone who has a newer version of Corel Draw that is maybe 2 to 5 years old. I would send them some of my work and see if it would load into the program and then be editable. I have not found anyone as the program is an $800.00 hit and not many, unless they use it a lot for work, want to buy that. At least not in the collector field. When this virus thing is over I am going to call Corel corp and see what they suggest. Most of my work was made on Corel 8 and then later converted to Corel 11.
I am not familiar with Haynes Photo Paper. As I said I buy from Bel Decals in Florida and usually by 10 sheets of clear and 10 sheets of White decal paper. Costs about $2.00 per sheet with shipping last time I bought but I bought 20 of each. That was some time ago so the price is probably higher. I get 6 1:18 scale Herbie decals ( I show above) on one sheet and the sell for $10.00 US each so good cost profit ratio off eBay. No one else makes them that I am aware of and I don't find them on eBay. Just mine.

I think you need to find the color profile that works with your printer and your program. Took me some time to get mine right.

Re: Dinky Leyland Carrimore Car Transporter 3 months, 2 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>The other thing with bubble jet printers is that they bleed when the ink gets wet. I know you know this from the decals you have shown us. I use a Home hardware clear for out door furniture. Below are the Home Hardware on the left and Krylon on the right. Both work well but I find I need more Krylon to cover than I do the Home Hrdw brand. It is also less expensive.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Nobleco.
  • Page: