Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: The US Army Machine Carrier

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #16

Now I know what you did on a rainy day in May. The green paint covers very well on the cabs you have shown us. Now, when I see a low oader, I know there is something that has to be transported on it. Shall I make a guess? I think it will be an army speedboat.....or even a helicopter

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #17

Platinum Boarder
<p>Too soon for a guess Theo........</p>
<p>I have these small chrome tubes with a wider opening on one side. A good fit in the hole of the unit, because the holes re a little too big for the axles.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Two half axles placed.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>and secured with a middle section.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #18

Platinum Boarder
<p>And here the completed models. I used 17mm tires for the rear. Note, on the original Corgi model there is only one star on the roof of the Bedford, and a licence plate-sticker (not pictured in the book) on the rear axle-unit. I think there should be more stickers, without overdoing it. Hereby the result.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #19

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #20

Platinum Boarder
<p>Strange that Corgi never made this into some sort of gift set, as indeed there should be something to carry like a helicopter or something army related. I looked into my drawers, but I do not have a single tank. Only one civilian helicopter, different scale though. I should do something Corgi should have done...........</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #21

Platinum Boarder
It will be on your list when the Fairs open up again. As long as it is the correct scale even a Dinky would be good. I know Corgi made a few though. Would be nice to have as these low loader truck look really good. The take off axle assembly is horrible to work with if you get the wrong casting. I had one from I think Toys NZ years ago or maybe it was Recovery toys that was near perfect. Hardly any sanding and no filing. The ones I did for the 8 truck set I did, there were two trailers that needed these. I sold the rest. I got them from SF and after doing one and selling one raw I sent them back to SF and requested new castings. Steve agreed, apologized and sent me 8 that were near perfect again. Yours does not look as bad as the first ones I got but it is not good, that is for sure. You put some good work into them. Makes you feel good I bet.

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #22

a fine looking pair. To be continued I hope

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #23

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks guys, I had to take a break for the rest of the evening, also to give you time for a guess what's coming of course.</p>
<p>So, first thing this morning, White album, CD2, track 1. Loud.</p>
<p>After that I turned the laptop on. Yes, any make tank could suit the trailer, but from the start I had no intention to use those.</p>
<p>The repro rear wheels look good, but there was a lot of material on the inside that made it not fit to the trailer. As you can see I did manage, but it took some time. Over to the load then........</p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Keesie.

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #24

Platinum Boarder
<p>As usual, Keesie has not lost his touch! Great looking restorations and I think the stars look good despite the circle. You had mentioned you cant use clear coat on army vehicles. I assume this is because the desired outcome is matte. Or is it because the clear coat does something negative to this particular paint? I don't do restorations and maybe I am daydreaming, but Im pretty sure Ive seen matte finish clear coats. No?</p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Tick.

Re: The US Army Machine Carrier 1 month, 2 weeks ago #25

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thans Tick. The army colour is matte, therefore clear varnish is not done. No idea if there is matte varnish available, so the decals are not covered. It is a strange dilemma. I would have used stickers anyway, so problem solved, but I wondered how others do that.</p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Keesie.

Re: The US Army Machine Carrier 1 month, 2 weeks ago #26

Platinum Boarder
I have made my own decals in the past. Some like the Herbie the love bug, warning stripes for the Coles cranes, Side decals for the Auto Transporter, ramp decals for the pullmore trailer and many others including the decals for the Corgi Military Kitchen.
My problem is I can not print White. I have to use White decal paper and cut them out. I did some for the military van as they were on a green back ground like Kees has used. That is still the way I would do it.

Re: The US Army Machine Carrier 1 month, 1 week ago #27

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks Jim, I see one leg of the star on the roof is pointing backwards, so to to the rear of the vehicle.</p>
<p>Because the stars on the vehicles done now turned out good, I think I will try to do some on other vehicles too.</p>

Re: The US Army Machine Carrier 1 month, 1 week ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Like I said in the other thread, I have never been able to find out for sure what direction. I though forward in the direction of the vehicle but others have put it on to the back. Most were this way when I looked up pictures so that is why I did this van that way. I still don't know for sure.

Re: The US Army Machine Carrier 3 weeks, 1 day ago #29

Platinum Boarder
<p>I adressed the USA-Ministery site which could maybe tell me about the star-direction, but after typing my complete explain and filling in my adress, I could not send the message. It did not seem the site was down, but that only US-adresses were allowed.</p>
<p>Then I thought about adressing the Dutch 'Rijksoverheid' site. They did not know either but the sent my mail to the Ministery of defense department. To be continued I hope.</p>
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL
  • Page: