Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: The US Army Machine Carrier

The US Army Machine Carrier 1 month, 2 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>This is going to be a long one and tough to explain. Not even that, but there will be several threads leading into a final.......</p>
<p>Also complicated, because there are a lot of details to talk about. Here we go........first of all I could finish the project today because of this.........</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Keesie.

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #2

Looks like we had the same weather Kees !!

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Ok, I did some Corgi army models recently. As I said, I am not an army-fanatic, but I like to have certain models, just because they fit in the Corgi range/numbering. As I was looking through my boxes, I came across these.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>They are the rear parts of the Bedford low loader. Several of these were done in the Corgi range, also in Gift sets. One of the those sets was the low loader with Priestman earth digger, which I restored several times.</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>The rear wheels/axle is a separate unit which can be clicked on/off. That way the loader's rear is flat and the load van be rolled off. As you can see I only had two of these axle units. One original, one a repro which came with one of the units. The rest is useless, unless I can make these units myself.</p>
<p>I once bought a lot of bits and pieces for little money, and here one of those boxes, which could be handy now. It contains a lot of double fender units for trucks.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I am not going to work on those now, but it is a sort of reminder to other members........</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>I was thinking about making two units on one go. As I got the 'hang' of doing the army models a few weeks ago, the spray can I used was still not empty.</p>
<p>I looked in the Corgi bible and Corgi indeed made an US army low loader, or machine carrier. In fact, I called it a low loader, but Corgi's name is machine carrier. The one I will compose is nr 1135, 'based on the 1131 Carrimore Detachable Axle Machinery Carrier'.</p>
<p>On page 166 of the 'original' bible you can see a whole range of army models Corgi did.</p>
<p>First I gathered the parts I needed.</p>
<p>
lunch wilmington nc</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>The Bedfords were already on a pile in primer on the workbench. That pile has always been there, because those cabs were done in a lot of combinations.</p>
<p>First I sprayed the cabs.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>I sure hope and think this part of the thread will make some members replying.....</p>
<p>As I have several army models now, the army spray I use is a matte dark green, similar to what Corgi used. I used the army decals I  had, no idea if I ever bought them or if they were given to me. Anyway, the background colour does not really match the colour of the paint I use.</p>
<p>So I applied those decals, and of course I did not use cla so clear varnish afterwards, because army colours are matte.......</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>When a decal is square, with a text, I am 'bound' to the background of the decal. This to me is actually not really disturbing. What IS more disturbing is the white five pointed stars. They always come as a CIRCLE, so the star is always seen in a circle when applied. No doubt that is done because when they would do the star only, you are bound to have a failure: no way you can apply those thin 'arms' of the star succesfully.</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>There is more.......because you cannot use clear varnish on army models, you cannot lock in the decals, so they get old and break. This is actually already the case with some of my older decals.</p>
<p>Time for a try out. I made stickers.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>and applied them. Mirrors came in a pack, drivers added in army suits.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
saw meal restaurant</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>The circles around the stars do not really show in the pictures, but I will get to that later.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I believe that the circle, which can be a solid line or a dashed line, was part of the Allied US forces. The circle made it stand out on the hood or roof of the trucks. It was so they could be identified from the air where Color is not always seen correctly. I think the Chinese also used stars but not in circles. I may be wrong but I remember my Dad talking about them as he would fly over the western european battle grounds on his way to Germany in 1945. He was a navigator so was always watching the ground for noted land marks on his charts. Was easy to pick out the US troop movements from on high.
You are ambitious with this project. I am assuming the wheel assemblies will be fixed to the trailer making it a ramp loader instead of a Low Loader as we call them here.

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I have decals on an Austin London Taxi I got from Diecast Drive in back in about 2007. The decals on it are curling and trying to fall off. I have also cars I restored back then with decals from SF and they look as good as when they were applied. I Never use clear over top of decals unless I was asked to by a customer. To me Clear coats make the model look too clear and a semi-Gloss clear is not the right shine for Dinky and Corgi toys, in my opinion. Also the home made decals I have made since about 2009 have not curled or cracked at all. I have had decals that were cracked on the paper but all you need to do is to spray a light coat of clear on to them and then put them in water after the spray has dried over night. Works for me in the past. I have had a few from SF and others that were just too old and the spray did not help much at all.

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, firstly I would have given a small fortune to have a talk with your dad about this...! I made a small studies of the US star by now, and although they came as either a star of weith a circle/broken circle around them, Corgi used just the star.</p>

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I will get to the take off-wheels later......

Re: The US Army 1 month, 2 weeks ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>Forgot to mention there are small rubber tires used as a lock in the hole in the rear of the Bedfords. I have done them so many times......so I forgot to picture that. I put some oil on the tires before I placed them.</p>
<p>Before working on the carriers, it took a lot of time to make the repro wheel unit fit. As usual the is a lot of left-over material to be filed off, but with this one there was also a lot of material on the inside thst had to be taken off. When that was done, both were sprayed.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The wheels of the original unit was masked off, the repro came with the wheels off.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>As you can see on the inside the moulding was not one of the best jobs, as there are holes on both inner arches. After assembling they cannot be seen though.  I also added some parts in the next picture which I will use.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
  • Page: